Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Thickening without Polymers

• Thickening without Polymers

Posted by gfeldman on May 14, 2014 at 3:13 pm

Relatively new to the formulation field, all of my (body lotion) formulations have been thickened using a traditional polymer system (Carbopol, ect.). I would like to thicken my formulation without the use of a polymer though. What are my best, inexpensive options? Cetearyl Alcohol? Polyquaternium 37? I would like something that feels good on the skin without terrible amounts of drag, but really any advice that could send me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated! Any suggestions on the level of non-polymeric thickener I would need for a medium thickness lotion (equivalent of what you would get from roughly 0.5% Ultrez-10)?

Thank you for your comments and advice!

nasrins replied 9 years, 10 months ago 7 Members · 45 Replies
  • 45 Replies
  • bobzchemist

May 14, 2014 at 3:49 pm

Why do you want to thicken lotions without using polymers? And does this mean that you are also excluding non-acrylic polymers? PEGs, for example? Are you excluding “natural” polymers also, like polysaccharides?

Polyquaternium 37 is also a polymer, you know…

I will also point out that it is completely impossible to mimic the feel of a carbopol-containing lotion with anything non-polymeric - be prepared for a radical difference in skin feel.
  • nasrins

May 18, 2014 at 12:27 am

polyquaternium 37 is also a polymer.

• nasrins

May 18, 2014 at 12:31 am

when u use acis stearic in your formula, and the end of formulation when u use triethanolamine , the emolsion becomes thicked without any polymeric thickenings.

• oldperry

May 18, 2014 at 9:59 pm

My suggestion is to continue to use Carbopol thickener.  It will improve your stability too.

Why do you want to not use Carbopol?
  • gfeldman

May 19, 2014 at 8:07 am

Yes. Polyquaternium 37 is also a polymer. I don’t know what was going through my head when I mentioned that one.. the prefix “poly” kind of gives it away!

Ignoring that embarrassing mistake, I am still curious about alternative methods to thicken formulas. For me it is more of a fundamental desire to learn how thick lotions used to be made before common polymeric thickeners such as carbopol. I would like to be able to do the same. Although, yes I do know that carbopol is the best choice 9.9/10 times.

Much to my surprise though, I was in Bath and Bodyworks the other day and ran across a lotion that appeared to be only thickened with Cetearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, and Ceteareth-20. Acrylates, gums, or poly”x” were not mentioned anywhere on the ingredient listing. Perhaps this would be a good approach for me to follow? 

• MakingSkincare

May 19, 2014 at 9:59 am

Try adding 2% cetyl alcohol to your heated oil phase, this will thicken and shouldn’t be draggy.

• chemist77

May 19, 2014 at 11:08 am

HEC, Sodium CMC, xanthan dont have poly as a prefix to their trade names ;-)

• nasrins

May 20, 2014 at 2:31 am

@milliachemist HEC and xantan are natural polymers so they didnt get poly.

• chemist77

May 20, 2014 at 2:56 am

Technically they are but trade names don’t have poly ;-) just a banter nasrins

• nasrins

May 21, 2014 at 4:46 am

@milliachemist whats different between HEC, Xantan gum and carbomer? are their thickening power as the same? can we use them in any cosmetic product?

• chemist77

May 21, 2014 at 5:22 am

Apart from the origin, the basic function remains same i.e. thickening and stabilizing the emulsions or the formula in general. Their use is a matter of choice though again the compatibility with other ingredients has to be kept in mind. As for the thickening capability yes they differ in the yield values and hence they have different suspension abilities.

• nasrins

May 21, 2014 at 5:28 am

@milliachemist thanks alot

• chemist77

May 21, 2014 at 5:43 am

U r welcome

• oldperry

May 22, 2014 at 10:02 am

As a general rule of thumb Carbomer gives the best clarity.  HEC and Xanthan gums are usually a little hazy  They also do not have the suspending power of Carbomer.  So you could make a flowable Carbomer thickened liquid that would also suspend things like gelatin beads in it.

• nasrins

May 23, 2014 at 3:48 am

@ perry you are the best

• bobzchemist

May 23, 2014 at 9:23 am

@nasrins, I bet you’d find it helpful to make up 1% solutions of the various thickeners and compare them.

• nasrins

May 23, 2014 at 1:50 pm

@perry but I think poyquaternium 10 is better than carbomer in clarity.

• nasrins

May 23, 2014 at 1:51 pm

@bobzchemist thats a good idea

• nasrins

May 24, 2014 at 3:29 am

@perry I made shower gel with 1% carbomer but suger beads sedimented. also I used 4% aculyn 88 and 0.4 KOH for neutralizing  … so carbomer coudnt suspend suger beads.

• nasrins

May 24, 2014 at 3:48 am
    water 74

EDTA 0.1

TEXAPON (Sodium laureth sulfate 70%) 12

Aculyn 88 (acrylate/ stearath20 methacrylate crosspolymer)  4

KOH 0.4

Sodium PCA  2

TEQNON 101(decyl glocoside)  2

Carbomer 1

Suger bead 0.1
  • chemist77

May 24, 2014 at 4:23 am

Which carbomer u hv used, not every carbomer goes with SLES???? Secondly use either of the polymer, u dont need 2 polymers in one formula. I have a similar formula with a good yield value but I have used Aculyn 22 only, in another formula I have used Carbomer (for surfactant systems) and hv been able to suspend pearl particles successfully.

• nasrins

May 24, 2014 at 4:39 am

carbomer is carbomer (acrylic acid homopolymer), what do u mean? I want to use another raw material instead of aculyns. Can only carbomer suspend suger beads?

• chemist77

May 24, 2014 at 4:47 am

Check Carbomer Aqua SF1 (Acrylates Copolymer), it has back acid thickening feature as well which helps in maintaining the viscosity once you start neutralizing with the carboxylic acid. You have to try at 4% to check the suspension, other polymers that could be of use is HPMC. But i hv not used HPMC till yet, for me Aculyn 22 and Carbopol Aqua Sf 1 have done wonderfully well in formulations.
    I sent you a link re the suspension and you have to see the yield value of every polymer and in the list carbomer holds out best. But still u can try other polymers for your own knowledge and experience.
    Given the formula u hv mentioned I m sure Carbomer Aqua SF 1 or aculyn 22 would work out well for u, but preferably carbopol aqua sf 1

• nasrins

May 24, 2014 at 5:17 am

with 4% carbomer can I have clear shower gel which suger beads are seen and suspend very well?

• chemist77

May 24, 2014 at 5:18 am

nasrins its a 30% active matter so u wud hv approx 1.2% active overall. And yes u can hv suspension of sugar beads, maybe u need to optimize a little but m sure u can get it right in few trials only.

Page 1 of 2