Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General extend the shelf life

• extend the shelf life

Posted by biochemist101 on July 7, 2017 at 1:51 pm

dears, i want some help please. kindly advise a preservation method or a preservative ingredient to extend the shelf life of hair gel to 5 years instead of 3 years.

biochemist101 replied 6 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • oldperry

July 7, 2017 at 2:00 pm

None that I know of.

• bobzchemist

July 7, 2017 at 3:01 pm

With a robust enough preservative system, and taking great care to make sure that you were making a sterile product that was packaged into well-sealed, sterile containers, you might possibly be able to get a five-year shelf life. But, it would be extremely costly, and you would likely need to use so much preservative that it would irritate the scalp.

Why would you want to do this?

• belassi

July 7, 2017 at 4:27 pm

I seriously doubt the stability of PET containers for such products over a 5 year period and varying environmental conditions. Any fragrance is likely to migrate out via the container wall, leading to deformation of the package and reduced product appeal. Not only that but why would you want a chunk of money tied up in inventory for years and years. I suggest you take a look at what’s known as the JIT method of production.

• drbobverdient-biz

July 7, 2017 at 7:18 pm

why do you want to do this?

• chemist77

July 7, 2017 at 7:30 pm

This might a request from MENA region, keep bumping into such wonderful requests quite often. 

• bobzchemist

July 7, 2017 at 7:45 pm

Can you make an anhydrous hair gel for your purposes? That would solve quite a few preservation/stability problems.

• biochemist101

July 8, 2017 at 5:55 am

Dears, thank you for replies. Actually yes it is an order for a private label. As for Anhydrous hair gel, what would be the perfect preservative?