Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Science making solutions

• making solutions

Posted by belassi on July 6, 2017 at 4:57 pm

Making solutions sometimes causes me problems.
    For instance, adding citric acid and sodium benzoate to water. Which should be dissolved first? And when you have several different ingedients? I had a problem last week when I made a citric acid solution and then tried to add sodium benzoate, the benzoate refused to dissolve and floated around on top like some insoluble substance.
    I wish there were some kind of chart that shows the order in which to put things in solution.

drbobverdient-biz replied 6 years, 8 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • drbobverdient-biz

July 6, 2017 at 10:22 pm

It is a matter of chemistry CA first makes solution acid in which sodium benzoate as benzoic acid is insoluble.

• belassi

July 6, 2017 at 11:20 pm

So you’re suggesting it will be more successful to dissolve the benzoate first? Or to make a separate solution for each ingredient and mix them all together?

• bill_toge

July 6, 2017 at 11:25 pm

in this case separate solutions would be the better option: even if you dissolve the sodium benzoate first, it’ll precipitate and eventually crystallise out

• belassi

July 6, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Aha. I guess this implies … something I recall about ionic charge values or valence electrons or whatever. Hmm. More phases.

• drbobverdient-biz

July 6, 2017 at 11:34 pm

You can add the SB at the end of the process after you adjust PH with CA.

• belassi

July 6, 2017 at 11:36 pm

OK thanks. 

• doreen

July 8, 2017 at 12:58 pm

@DRBOB@VERDIENT.BIZ
    You can add the SB at the end of the process after you adjust PH with CA.

This is also how I do it with potassium sorbate, I expected precipitation problems with it because of its formation to sorbic acid in the acidic CA environment, as the sorbic acid also is only slightly water soluble.

• drbobverdient-biz

July 8, 2017 at 2:50 pm

Doreen81 You are right as it seems like this is the best way to handle these types of preservatives:also they remain very stable and functional with time.