Acronyms

Unknown Member
edited May 2014 in General
Hi all, I hope this post finds you amazing. I am new to this forum and also enrolled in Perry's online cosmetic formulating course. I was wondering if anyone can turn me onto a site (basic is better) or document with the basics of formulating/ cosmetic chemistry acronyms?
Any and all help in appreciated & thank you in advance
Danny

Comments

• chemicalmattchemicalmatt Member, Professional Chemist
    Danny, I can't think of any one-site source explaining the acronyms you see. I assume you are referring to ingredient INCI names and such.  You'll need to invest time in studying the chemistry of these materials.  Go to the manufacturers' websites for a start. For beginners, know that PEG is polyethylene glycol, which is actually an epoxide polymer adducted to a carbon chain to enhance hydrophilicity, changing the HLB (hydrophile-lipophile balance) of that material.  PPG is polypropylene glycol, another epoxide adduct that also changes the HLB.  You are on your own from here on.
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Perry posted a list a while back - try searching for it. Probably the easiest thing to do is to ask questions here. 
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • Forgot I posted this..lol. Thank you Bob, very helpful.