Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating fragrance precentage-help

• fragrance precentage-help

Posted by goldie on June 29, 2017 at 5:38 am

hello fellas 

going through several sites to find what are the limit percentage of perfume in body creams and every one of them says something else
    im looking for the custom in the us please
    thank you in advance

goldie replied 6 years, 9 months ago 4 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • oldperry

June 29, 2017 at 1:56 pm

It depends on the fragrance but usually less than 1%

• drbobverdient-biz

June 29, 2017 at 2:31 pm

You see different levels because 1-each base is different in composition 2-each product is fragranced to suite the demographics of the audience to which it is marketed as fragrance can make or break a product.We submit base to 2-3 fragrance companies with a product concept together with a set price in $/cwt of  finished product.The level is set by the Fragrance co, based on the price/cwt of finished product you are willing to pay.

• goldie

June 29, 2017 at 5:20 pm

thank you both on on your answers,perry if my product made to be a perfumed body lotion is it set to be less then 1%?

• belassi

June 29, 2017 at 5:28 pm

It depends both on the concentration of the fragrance you buy and the intended use. For instance you don’t want 1% in a face cream because it would be objectionably high; 0.1% would be more likely. In a body shampoo or hair shampoo 1% is OK. Pre-production tests will guide you.

• goldie

June 29, 2017 at 5:47 pm

thanks belassi ,
    as i wrote its intended to be a perfumed body cream ,i want to keep the fragrance strong and for long hours

• belassi

June 29, 2017 at 6:13 pm

Well, choose very carefully. In my experience our products sell on their fragrance. Customers get to value the fragrance more than the product sometimes. And if you decide to change the fragrance? Watch out for the reaction from your customers. If you are designing a high end product I suggest using a high end fragrance, eg a knock-off of a well known brand. That can also help to identify which fragrance will appeal to your intended market, since the brand fragrances are well described as to their target consumers.

• goldie

June 29, 2017 at 8:07 pm

you are spot on i used to work in the fragrance industry and you right 

• oldperry

June 29, 2017 at 8:43 pm

If you’re selling a leave-on product like the one you suggested, 1% fragrance of most fragrances is probably the highest you’d want to go due to irritation issues. 

Still it depends highly on the fragrance & base you are using.

• goldie

June 29, 2017 at 9:36 pm

yes thank you perry, im aware that it depends on the fragrance itself some are very “week “at 1% and some are xstrong at 0.5%