Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair BTMS substitute?

• BTMS substitute?

Posted by belassi on June 27, 2017 at 4:24 pm

My existing conditioner isn’t good enough for curly hair. The conditioning agent is 2% cetrimonium chloride. I have heard that BTMS is much more effective - but it is unobtainable here. 
    I do have available DEHYQUART C4046S (cetearyl alcohol and dipalmitoylethyl Hydroxyethylmonium Methosulfate and Ceteareth-20)
    - Would this make a more effective product than the cetrimonium chloride+cetearyl alcohol combo I have right now?

belassi replied 6 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • MakingSkincare

June 27, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Can you get hold of Varisoft 432 PPG? 

• belassi

June 27, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Varisoft 432 PPG? No. 
    Evonik products unavailable here. 

• belassi

June 27, 2017 at 7:25 pm

There’s this interesting formulation in ULP

• crisbaysauli

June 28, 2017 at 8:27 am

@Belassi may I suggest Crodazoquat MCC from Croda. This one is positioned to condition all types of hair, may it be curly, blonde or brunette. 

• belassi

June 28, 2017 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, but Croda are impossible to do business with, unless you’re a megacorporation.

• komirra

June 30, 2017 at 3:39 pm

do you have access to behtrimonium chloride? that could be used with CETAC and thickened with a fatty alcohol. this combination works well with my curly hair. Could also consider amodimethicone, I love it and have felt a considerable feeling in softness when i compared a formulation with it and one without it.

• belassi

June 30, 2017 at 4:02 pm

Thanks for all the answers, but I can get what I can get, and nothing else. I cannot buy behentrimonium chloride nor SD. That is why I asked my original question. Unfortunately nobody has answered it, so I am just going to have to buy the material and try it for myself.

• pepe

July 26, 2017 at 12:36 pm

You can have a try with polyquaternium-10 or guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride for conditioning. They are not completely the replacements for behentrimonium chloride but satisfactory.

• ozgirl

July 27, 2017 at 10:02 pm

@Belassi

We used Dehyquart 4046 in a hair conditioner for a number of years but had to reformulate when our supplier increased minimum order quantities and we could no longer justify using the C4046. We now use BTMS and have had no customer complaints after making the change.

Check the MOQs before requesting samples.

Hope this helps.

• belassi

July 28, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Thank you, Ozgirl. So I assume you would say that 4046 is an effective choice?

• ozgirl

July 31, 2017 at 11:05 pm

@Belassi

Yes we found it effective in our product.

• belassi

August 2, 2017 at 1:02 am

Excellent - I just got the quote. Really cheap, about $1.25 / kilo. Just ordering some to try.