Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Glyceryl Monoesters

• johnb

June 22, 2017 at 3:31 pm

This is a new one on me.

I cannot see any reason why either of those materials, glyceryl caprylate/caprate or glyceryl oleate, would be considered as ingredients of a hair wash formulation (shampoo) sulfate free or not.

Both are lipids and it is the function of a shampoo to remove excess lipid from the hair. By including lipidic materials into the shampoo reduces its functionality.

Have I missed something?

• belassi

June 22, 2017 at 5:30 pm

Glyceryl oleate is one of the two components of Lamesoft PO65 (the other is a surfactant, coco-glucoside), in hair care it gives a “soft” effect at a rate of about 1%

• msmonroe

June 22, 2017 at 10:53 pm

Thanks for the comments.

I tried them both. And I don’t see any difference in term of softness effect, they both give “soft” effect at 1%.
    I used Stepan for GCC and PO65 for GO. Since I don’t want to add another glucoside in my hairwash, I just add single Glyceryl Oleate at 0.5% (I had already Lauryl Glucoside at 6%), the formula works fine so far. But is it okay to use just single Glyceryl Oleate (not PO65)?

But I heard the Glyceryl Oleate can cause irritation/alergies reaction, while GCC is more nonirritant. Is my understanding correct?

Thanks,
    M