• Mask

Posted by tracingrobots on June 3, 2017 at 11:47 pm

Thanks for allowing me to join in the discussion. I’m not a Chemist but have basic research experience in Cancer.

I have two questions that are sought of related.

Our gel, which is being used as a mask, has separated (layer of liquid on top). I’m thinking the HEC (cellulose) has broken down over a two month period which is bad. pH was at 3.8. Without knowing ingredients has anyone had this problem?

Second question, once we have the gel finalized wondering the best method to pour a few liters in 100ml jars.  Was thinking of using a bakers decorating bag with tip (one that looks like a funnel). Is there some dispenser that anyone is using for this?

Thank you! :)

JR

drbobverdient-biz replied 6 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • johnb

June 4, 2017 at 7:11 am

This cannot be answered without at least some information on the product under discussion. Any antimicrobial preservatives in the product?

For dispensing small quantities, why not just a plastic bag with the corner snipped off? You can adjust the size of the feed by the amount of cutoff. No need for any fancy things like bakers decorating bags and this suggestion is hygenic and disposable.

• davidw

June 5, 2017 at 11:53 am

Need more info to try and help

• drbobverdient-biz

June 8, 2017 at 5:38 pm
    1. HEC is a semisynthetic polymer and will unzip (breakdown) wlo antimicrobial preservation after 2-3 months storage!
  • tracingrobots

June 9, 2017 at 5:35 am

thanks. doesn’t sound stable enough.

• johnb

June 9, 2017 at 7:18 am

HEC is normally quite stable. You have not given any information regarding ingredients apart from your product contains HEC.

Does the mask contain any antimicrobial preservative (as both DRBOB and I have asked)? Microbial contamination seems the most likely cause of your problem, not being privy to any other information regarding composition.

• nasim91

August 1, 2017 at 8:44 am

Hello, i try to use HEC to produce gel by dissolving it in boiling water, but it can not be dissolved completely thus the gel is not clear enough.what can i do?
    thank you

• chemist77

August 1, 2017 at 4:20 pm

Nasim generally HEC will disperse easily in cold water, why do you have to boil it and complicate.

• drbobverdient-biz

August 1, 2017 at 10:01 pm

What is in the water in addition to HEC as chemist 77 said it should go in easily.Who is your supplier?