Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair Hair Dye

• Hair Dye

Posted by Lily7 on June 2, 2017 at 1:37 am

How to make an acid dye, dye human hair without heat?

I see a lot of hair products full of acid dyes, like Acid Violet 43, Acid Blue 9, etc. Semi-permanent hair dyes (it doesn’t have amonia or ox)

I’m working with basic dyes and having really nice results! But the Acid dyes, they just don’t fix! They just fix if I apply to hair while emulsion is in cooling process, like 30ºC. On 20ºC, it doesnt dye hair.

But if a lot of brands use acid dyes and it doesnt have to be hot to fix, it is possible! Someone could tell me how?

thanks

belassi replied 6 years, 10 months ago 4 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • johnb

June 2, 2017 at 8:39 am

Have you looked at the ingredient lists and the method of use of the products you are interested in? You may get some information there.

• bill_toge

June 2, 2017 at 10:29 am

also, I’d suggest you look up the process of acid dyeing, and how it works

• Lily7

June 2, 2017 at 4:58 pm

Bill_Toge, I just found the textile process of acid dyeing, which includes high temperature and acid environment. Nothing about any special ingredient, besides citric acid or acetic acid, or any information about dying it on ambient temperatures.

Johnb, I never found a special method for non-oxidative dyes. Non-oxidative dyes are basically emulsions with direct dyes, so I’m doing the traditional emulsion method. I’ve already study the ingredient list of a lot of hairdyes and didn’t find which ingredient would work specially with the acid dye.

Man, how difficult to find this information if you have just internet to study!

• belassi

June 2, 2017 at 5:42 pm

Man, how difficult to find this information if you have just internet to study! 
    Not really: http://www.google.com.mx/patents/US3352755

• bill_toge

June 2, 2017 at 5:46 pm

and as for acid dyeing at room temperature: why not try it and see?

• Lily7

June 2, 2017 at 7:06 pm

Bill_toge, I’ve already tried it, didn’t work. Like I said, only worked when I use a higher temperature. On 20ºC, didn’t dye.

Belassi, there’s months I’m reading a lot of patents, including this one, but any of them really makes sense to me, cause I know a lot of hair dyes that doesn’t include de ingredients the patents mention, and they work! Usually this patents are made for coloring shampoos, where acid dyes are incorporated on anionic environments. But acid dyes on cationic hair dyes, no information! 

• belassi

June 2, 2017 at 7:45 pm

This is the first time you mentioned the word cationic. Don’t you think there might be a reason you cannot find such information? Perhaps it’s impossible. Just for starters … what is an acid? What ions are present in an acid? Do you think acids and cationic compounds are compatible?