Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Nervous to use premade lipstick base?

Tagged: 

• Nervous to use premade lipstick base?

Posted by knoels on May 2, 2017 at 11:44 pm

Hello!

I have been trying to create my own lipstick from scratch, however I just can’t get the formula right.

Here’s what I’ve been using:
    Pigment
    Carnauba Wax
    Grape Seed Oil
    Isododecane
    Bentonine Clay

People have suggested that I use a premade lipstick base, but I am nervous to do so. What if the end result after I add my pigment is not what I want? Is it possible to get a base and put my own twist on it (add extra ingredients to make it a more unique formula)? Additionally, I am very hardheaded and want to get my formula right on my own!

Any suggestions? 

Thanks so much.

bobzchemist replied 6 years, 11 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • johnb

May 3, 2017 at 6:56 am

There is a lot more to making a lipstick than melting the ingredients together and pouring into a mould - just as there is with melting a pre-made base and adding colourants/pigments.

The ingredients list you have given does not correspond to any
    lipstick that I have come across. Where was it from?

Lipstick colours require to be very finely dispersed by milling (or a similar process). This is not easily achieved by hand mixing.

I recommend that you find out exactly what procedures are involved before even contemplating actually making a product. For example, bentonite clay requires a very specific dispersing procedure before it can perform any useful function. Most bentonite clays used in cosmetics are modified and predispersed to some extent (e.g as Bentone Gels). The same effect cannot be achieved by any procedure you appear to be using.

• bobzchemist

May 3, 2017 at 3:22 pm

There are a number of lipstick formulations on the web. Why are you trying to create your own before understanding how to formulate? It’s like trying to cook a souffle before you know what an egg is. Using a pre-made base will give you a much, much higher chance of success. Getting it right on your own will involve months if not years of study and experimentation.

If the result you get after using a pre-made base isn’t to your liking? Start over and use a different base. Cosmetics is about experimenting, adjusting and re-adjusting until you get it right.

Pre-made lip bases are tested for safety. Adding ingredients other than colorants voids that testing. It’s very risky unless you know what you’re doing.