Amount of makeup for a daily use

Hello everyone,
I would like to know if there are some figures or statistics or estimations on the quantity of makeup a user need for one application.
For example, when a person applies a foundation or a face powder, how much product (in grams or milimeters) it requires for one application? Can we get this type of information ? Thank you very much for your help!
Tagged:

Comments

• mililiter sorry*
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    Data like that isn't really easily available. 

Here is an analysis of the amount of lipstick.
    http://thebeautybrains.com/2014/10/is-lead-in-lipstick-dangerous-the-beauty-brains-show-episode-54/

You might also look at the CIR and how they evaluate raw materials.
    http://www.cir-safety.org/ingredients
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Honestly, it depends strongly on the specific formulation, the applicator, and the person applying it. I know that when I worked for Lauder we'd test this for all new formulas, mostly to make sure that we weren't selling a year's supply of makeup in a single bottle.  I also know that Estee Lauder considered this proprietary information at the time, and I'm pretty sure that hasn't changed, so I don't feel that I can release the info that I remember. I'd bet that almost all other makeup companies have the same policy. If you need this info, you're probably going to have to determine it yourself.

I can, however, tell you that this info was usually determined by having a few people apply each formulation normally for ten times each, then we took an average to get to the usage rate. Sometimes, we'd do a full-blown home usage test instead, and give a new formula to employees to take home and use until it was finished, then report back.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • @Perry
    Thank you for the links. I know it is hard to find pieces of information on such experimentation. That's why I am asking to you guys. Thanks again!
  • @Bobzchemist
    Thanks for your idea ! Making my own experimentation on several people could be a good way to determine the quantity it requires.
    I totally understand that companies keep their info for themselves.
    Assuming I use a compact powder eyeshadow with a standard brush. For one picking of eyeshadow, is it impossible to determine how many grams are stuck on the brush?

Only with a really accurate lab balance with 2 or 3-place precision. The amount is going to be substantially less than 1 gram. 1 gram of eyeshadow goes a long, long way when spread on skin. That's why we used ten times as a method - just one time wouldn't use up an easily measured amount of product.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
    You can check this mathematically, at least sort of. Let's look at Nyx eyeshadow, for example. A Nyx round eyeshadow has a net weight of 1.5 grams. We'll assume that Nyx wants a 3-month use rate. So, someone using the eyeshadow twice a day every day will have to have at least 2x30x3 = 180 usages. 1.5 grams divided by 180 usages is about 0.008 grams per use. See why I said you'd need a 3-place balance?