Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Advanced Questions Zemea vs glycerin

Tagged: 

• microformulation

April 5, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Wouldn’t a comparison of Zemea vs. Propylene Glycol be more valid? I would contact DuPont, Tate, and Lyle (http://duponttateandlyle.com/) for this data. I have not seen any INDEPENDENT data, but in my experience, we have switched it out for PG with no changes in performance.

• chemnc

April 5, 2017 at 2:23 pm

PG has a horrible image problem.

• oldperry

April 5, 2017 at 2:28 pm

@chemnc - I suppose that depends on your customer.

• drbobverdient-biz

April 5, 2017 at 2:31 pm

AGREE with the foregoing we have switched from pg,1,2 diol to Zemea 13 propanediol.Why do you want to compare to glycerine which is propanetriol?

• microformulation

April 5, 2017 at 5:11 pm

In our experience, we have seen zero compromise in humectancy by switching fro PG to Zemea, especially when used in combination with other products such as Glycerin and Methyl Gluceth-10.

PG allegedly has some penetration enhancement and I have yet to see if Zemea also has this property.

Propylene Glycol; Among the polyvalent alcohols, propylene glycol is the

most frequently used co-solvent in dermatology. The action as a real penetration enhancer is debated controversially in the literature.”

http://www.nanobiotec.iqm.unicamp.br/download/Trommer_skin%20penetration-2006rev.pdf

• chemnc

April 5, 2017 at 6:12 pm

Why do you also need glycerin?

• microformulation

April 5, 2017 at 7:30 pm

In my experience I have found that a combination of glycols will give better effect. Many others can weigh in as well.

• Margaret2

April 5, 2017 at 10:11 pm

I recently made a lotion in which one had 6% Zemea, the other had 3% glycerin, everything else was exactly the same. I found NO difference between the 2 lotions. 
    I performed this trial because Zemea is $$$$$ compared to glycerin, AND because in Canada, no one sells it in small quantities, as in 1 liter at a time.

• Soapily

April 7, 2017 at 1:53 am

I use glycerin more than PG. In addition, I mixed some natural base oil.