Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating thickener for oil blend

Tagged: 

• thickener for oil blend

Posted by chemnc on March 25, 2017 at 3:35 pm

I have a blend of oils that is very nice but could use some thickening. I’ve never used an oil thickener. I read in one of Perry’s articles that Silica, Bentonite, and Magnesium Aluminum Silicate could work. Isn’t bentonite really heavy?

bobzchemist replied 7 years ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • johnb

March 25, 2017 at 4:31 pm

Cationic bentonites (Bentones) make very fine dispersions in liquids.

http://www.essentialingredients.com/productdetail.aspx?CatID=0&FunID=0&Srch=bentone%20gel

• beautynerd

March 25, 2017 at 7:28 pm
  • chemist77

March 25, 2017 at 8:07 pm

Ethocel 100 premium could be useful too. 

• drbobverdient-biz

March 26, 2017 at 3:44 am

Thixin R should work

• johnb

March 27, 2017 at 8:38 am

I agree that Thixin R (or other brand of hydrogenated castor oil) should work.

I doubt that Ethocel 100 would be suitable  for this purpose as it is not soluble in aliphatic oily materials.

My previous reply here was a specific answer to the query on bentonite clays. From my own experience, I have found these materials very difficult to work with and they do not give a visually appealing effect.

Some grades of Versagel (Penreco) may be suitable for your uses if you need a transparent product.

• chemist77

March 27, 2017 at 3:10 pm

@johnb Ethocel 100 Premium is exclusively to thicken and gel oils especially Octyldodecanol and other oils with Octyldodecanol. 

• johnb

March 27, 2017 at 3:44 pm

I am corrected - thank you. I obtained my information from a general data sheet For Ethocel rather than the one devoted to the Premium 100 grade.

• bobzchemist

March 27, 2017 at 8:45 pm

Bentonites, when properly activated, do really well in pigmented systems as thickeners and pigment suspenders. I agree with @johnb that to just thicken clear oil as a finished product, they won’t be nice looking, or particularly stable.