Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Baking Soda Soap Bar

• Baking Soda Soap Bar

Posted by aijalon on March 14, 2017 at 1:10 am

Greetings to all!

I am looking into making a Baking Soda Soap Bar. I will use an 80:20 Toilet Soap Noodles as my base. I’m thinking of adding around 5 - 10% of baking soda and 1% Fragrance. Will it work out? I will use a laboratory soap making machine (mixer, roller, plodder).

I have looked all over the net but I can only see DIY cold processed or melt and pour baking soda soap bar formulations. 

Does somebody here tried making this type of soap bar?

All your comments will be highly appreciated. Thank you very much!

miletran168 replied 5 years ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • johnb

March 14, 2017 at 8:42 am

I can’t imagine a conventional commercial toilet soap base withstanding the addition of any substantial amount of solids (not soap) and remaining suitable for further processing into bars.

I recall when I was in the soap making business there was a process where soap base was milled with soda ash (sodium carbonate - I know it’s not the same thing as the bicarbonate) to enable the soap to be easily ground to powder for the manufacture of soap based laundry powders.

Why do you want to make this mix?

• Tyss

March 1, 2019 at 6:09 pm

Hello everybody,
    We develop a toilet soap with olive oil
    We detected a non compliance on this type of soap: brown spots appear
    I wonder if anyone has encountered this type of problem and could have detected the origin of thi

• belassi

March 1, 2019 at 6:42 pm

@Tyss: First, please ask your own question rather than using someone else’s thread.
    Secondly, this phenomenon is well known to soap makers, who call it DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots) — it is caused by breakdown of the soap and usually occurs when oil with a low shelf life is used. Many oils are unsuitable for soap due to this.

• Tyss

March 1, 2019 at 8:12 pm

Thank you very mush Mr Belassi
    I noted your remark
    The types of oils used in my formula are:
    1- refined olive oil
    2-palm stearin rbd
    3-rbd coconut oil
    All these oils have a shelf life of about 2 years and the problem was encountered after one year from the date of manufacture 

• belassi

March 2, 2019 at 12:36 am

Well, one of them at least is causing your problem. A year is a very long time for saponified soap. Not surprising. I wouldn’t want to sell soap >3 months in age.

• miletran168

March 2, 2019 at 3:47 pm

The types of oils used in my formula are:
    1- refined olive oil
    2-palm stearin rbd
    3-rbd coconut oil

??? HOW ABOUT?