Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating materials

• materials

Posted by GeorgeO on March 8, 2017 at 12:39 am

In my past life I was a chemist and had a closet that was filled with ingredients that sales reps would gladly give us. Starting out new again SLES, etc. is easy to find but some of the better surfactants can not be purchased online, I think. Anyone have advice on getting specific ingredients for test, trials that may not always be easy to find?

johnb replied 7 years ago 5 Members · 17 Replies
  • 17 Replies
  • johnb

March 8, 2017 at 7:04 am

There are lots of companies which repack ingredients into small amounts for the small/home user.

All you need to do is seek these out via Google (or other search engine).

• bobzchemist

March 8, 2017 at 6:58 pm

You have nothing to lose by emailing and asking for samples, either. 

• chemicalmatt

March 8, 2017 at 7:36 pm

Try getting accepted as a “user” with UL Prospector. You may need an active industry chemist to qualify you.  Once in, you can request samples from the many chemical ingredient suppliers who subscribe. I do know that independent consultants often get ignored by manufacturers and distributors, who don’t often realize these folks may be recommending their materials to their clients for further commercialization. Too bad, this is short-sighted.

• GeorgeO

March 8, 2017 at 9:47 pm

Thanks for the tips all, will do!

• GeorgeO

March 9, 2017 at 11:50 pm

Anyone know where I can get some Sodium Lauryl Methyl Isethionate for a bench batch?
    I’ve been out of the industry for so long I think many of the people I worked with are probably retired by now for a UL user acceptance.

• johnb

March 10, 2017 at 7:38 am
  • johnb

March 10, 2017 at 9:02 am

There are two sellers of SCI on eBay as well. I use eBay UK but these suppliers are in the USA and will export.

I think SCI is the nearest you will find available in small quantities.

• GeorgeO

March 10, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Johnb, thanks. Looks like Sodium Lauryl Methyl Isethionate is different from SCI (I have some of this and like it too). I have read and have seen Sodium Lauryl Methyl Isethionate in various formulations as a SLES ALS replacement which I want to try.

• johnb

March 11, 2017 at 8:16 am

I appreciate that SCI is not the same as SLMI but the latter seems almost impossible to obtain in the quantities you are thinking about - that is why I showed SCI as being a near equivalent.

Considering the difficulty in SLMI availability, have you considered SCI as your SLES replacement?

• Sandi

March 12, 2017 at 8:46 am

Hi guys - can anyone perhaps help me source a manufacturer [not repack supplier] for modified elaeis guineensis powder [for use as an oil-thickening agent]?  Thanks!

• johnb

March 12, 2017 at 9:02 am

Modified in what way?

Elaeis guineensis is the palm species that provides palm oil. Do you mean hydrogenated palm oil?

Remember that Google is your friend. Look out hydrogenated palm oil suppliers

• Sandi

March 16, 2017 at 7:44 am

Hi John.  I’ve Googled but can’t seem to identify it with the specifi INCI connected to it.  Here’s a link for the product in case it helps to identify the type of ingredient I’m trying to source: https://www.gracefruit.com/item/839/Gracefruit/EasyMix-Butter.html
    Importing from the UK isn’t an option due to exorbitant transport costs.  Often really challenging to find suppliers here in Africa. Thanks

• johnb

March 16, 2017 at 8:29 am

The gracefruit page gives a CAS number of 91079-14-0 which identifies the material as palm oil stearins - that is palm oil which has had the more liquid components removed see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_stearin

The big problem with substituting one brand for another with this type of material is that, being a mixture, it can have widely varying properties and some brands/grades may not suitable for your end use.

As the starting material originates in Africa possibly there are some palm oil processors there who can help.

There are a number of other materials which will thicken oils.

• GeorgeO

March 16, 2017 at 9:19 pm
    johnb, 

Thanks for the help. Yes I am looking for SLES alternatives. I’m currently using SCI and like the foam profile and conditioning effect. I don’t think it’s enough to replace SLES as far as larger bubbles goes.

As you know people believe everything on internet. With current trends, i.e. non-sulfate, non-paraben formulations I think it’s necessary to at least examine other non (whatever) surfactant/preservative systems. SLMI sounded like a slam dunk for a SLES replacement so I wanted to give it a shot but it’s hard to get.
  • johnb

March 17, 2017 at 8:44 am

Have you considered sodium lauroyl sulfoacetate (Lathanol) or sodium lauroyl sarcosinate (Sarkosyl).

You might want to look at detergent mixtures if you want particularly high foam levels. I can’t suggest any mixture in particular as the possible combinations are vast but, amine oxides are worth a try.

• Sandi

March 25, 2017 at 4:15 am

Thanks for the palm stearin response johnb.  You mention other materials that will thicken oils - which would you recommend please?

• johnb

March 25, 2017 at 7:54 am

Sandi, depends on what you are trying to achieve.

There are a large number materials which will thicken oils, each with their own characteristics and properties. When combinations of these thickeners are considered, the number of thickening effects is very large.

Another important consideration is if you want fatty or waxy material or a synthetic polymer to act as thickener?

Inform us of what you want to make and we may be able to offer suggestions.