Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Transparent facewash thickner

• Transparent facewash thickner

Posted by mrinal on February 25, 2017 at 3:34 pm

hi everyone, i am trying to make transparent solid(thick) facewash for normal skin. my formulation is sles 15% , coc.betaine 4%, cocomide dea 2% , polymers 1%, salt 2%, preservative 0.5% ,citric acid for ph 5.5 , colour (green) and the rest are water ………but the problem is my facewash become gel type and i want to make it solid thick transparent. i have also try salt curve in formulation but fail to fully thick (solid) it. how can i make my facewash formulation fully thick(solid) and transparent….? would anbody like to help me plz . thanks

markbroussard replied 7 years, 1 month ago 7 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • johnb

February 25, 2017 at 3:49 pm

Is there a market product that you are trying to emulate?

I am extremely doubtful that you will achieve a solid product with the mix you are using.

• bobzchemist

February 25, 2017 at 6:28 pm

Maybe Laponite will work?

• belassi

February 25, 2017 at 7:38 pm

The most solid you can get with that combo is a rubbery gel. (It forms a ball and bounces) I’ve done it but by accident.

• chemist77

February 26, 2017 at 4:10 am

@mrinal you have been chasing this product for such a long time and have started various threads for it. Can you please atleast tell us the benchmark so that we can point you in the right direction, will help save everyone’s time.

• crisbaysauli

February 26, 2017 at 8:19 am

@mrinal try PEG-150 distearate at around 1%. i accidentally produced a semi-solid clear facial wash before using this.

• mrinal

February 26, 2017 at 1:19 pm

thanks to all for reply……. :) actually i am trying to get thickness like this….

• johnb

February 26, 2017 at 2:43 pm

What is the product in the illustration?

Is it a facewash (like you are trying to copy)? If it is, what is the list of ingredients - knowing that would give clues as to how to achieve your goal.

• chemist77

February 26, 2017 at 6:23 pm

My only observation is that it looks like having a polymer as a thickener, can you post the ingredient listing too if possible. 

• markbroussard

February 26, 2017 at 7:30 pm

@mrinal:

What you’re showing is not a solid, but a very viscous gel.  When you say “polymers” in your formulation … what polymers are you using?

Sounds like Carbomer might get you where you want to be.

• mrinal

February 28, 2017 at 6:49 am

• mrinal

February 28, 2017 at 6:59 am

@johnb  & @ chemist77  here is the ingredient list of facewash .how can i make my facewash formulation turn into viscous gel look like above picture

• mrinal

February 28, 2017 at 7:14 am

@MarkBroussard ya its a viscous gel, i am using polyquaternium-7 as “polymers”  what is the  procedure  of using carbomer with anionic surfactant, because carbomer + tea = viscous gel, but when   anionic surfactants+carbomer+tea=don’t get viscous gel it remain liquid form……?

• chemist77

February 28, 2017 at 7:52 am

@mrinal

http://www.stepan.com/uploadedFiles/Literature_and_Downloads/Formulations/Cleansers_(liquid_soaps,_facial_and_bath_products)/StepanFormulation1072.pdf

http://www.colonialchem.com/fullpanel/uploads/files/2013-facial-wash-gel-160nc-cbs-hp-1200p-00001.pdf

The above 2 are gel formulations, check what you have closest against those ingredients and work your way out. 

Carbopol Aqua SF-2 can be used too but the aeration is a big problem and the fell won’t be that good if you have to use in a dosage where a gel is formed. My opinion though!!!

• mrinal

February 28, 2017 at 10:24 am

@Chemist77 thanks a lot. ur information is very helpful for my formulation.

• markbroussard

February 28, 2017 at 10:25 am

@mrinal:

Then change your surfactants … use non-ionics.  The picture of the label you sent is of no help … it does not list the ingredients in the product.