Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Compatibility of cetyl alcohol and lecithin-derived emulsifiers

• Avick

April 23, 2014 at 9:28 am
  • bobzchemist

April 23, 2014 at 10:07 am

Shouldn’t be an issue, but you’ll have to test to be certain. There is nothing intrinsic about cetyl alcohol that would cause it to initially react badly with lecithin and/or lecithin derivatives. 

The thing you will have to check for experimentally is whether or not the wax-type structure cetyl alcohol slowly forms at room temperature will disrupt the lamellar O/W emulsions formed by the lecithin emulsifier systems. I’d be very interested in seeing your results.
    If you wanted to write this up, you could probably get a publishable paper out of these experiments.
  • Anonymous

May 20, 2014 at 4:04 pm

Hi, could you tell me where I can get the Biophillic? I did email that company but got no response. Ive emailed three companies about their emulsifiers and had no response actually. Could it be because I’m an individual and not a company myself (yet, ha!)

Regards

Honey

• bobzchemist

May 21, 2014 at 6:53 am

For the most part, companies will only interact with you if you are both able and likely to at least buy their minimum order quantity of the chemical you are interested in. This quantity is usually vastly more than a home crafter or a solo formulator/consultant can ever hope to purchase.and use in a reasonable amount of time. 

The minimum order quantity depends on who the supplier is - Inolex might sell as little as a 5-gallon pail, while Dupont won’t talk to you unless you unless you are buying a 10,000 gallon tank car of material. Fortunately, there are distributors who earn a living by buying bulk quantities and splitting it up into smaller containers for their customers. But even distributors have minimum quantities, and you probably need less than that. 

The only way around this is to either set up a group purchase with other small quantity users or attempt to get a small-volume retailer, Brambleberry, for example, interested in carrying the chemical.
    Where are you located?
  • Anonymous

May 27, 2014 at 10:54 am

Hi Bob, thanks for that info. I’m in south Yorkshire in the UK.

Regards

Honey

• bobzchemist

May 27, 2014 at 2:48 pm

You need to talk to @makingskincare and/or @Duncan

• bill_toge

May 27, 2014 at 6:04 pm

@honeyface, Lucas Meyer are distributed in the UK by Infinity Ingredients - don’t know what their minimum order quantities are though

• ssdc

January 4, 2016 at 3:38 am

@bobzchemist you suggest to investigate if the crystals of cetyl alcohol at RT will disrupt the lamellar layer form by lecithin. Can i know how can we do this? Through TEM?

• markbroussard

January 4, 2016 at 4:07 pm

If you’re looking to cetyl alcohol as a thickener, you might also consider Emulsifying Wax: Beeswax, Lecithin (Soy), Copernicia Cerifera (Carnauba) Wax