Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Resources Propylene Glycol Extract of plants

• Propylene Glycol Extract of plants

Posted by gmicca on February 9, 2017 at 6:33 am

Do you know any journal or reading material where I can find  info about chemicals that can be extracted from plants by using propylene glyol as extraction solvent? I am specifically looking for the chemical component/s of plants that can be extracted using propylene glycol and use that as reference for skin care application.Thank you so much in advance!

johnb replied 7 years, 1 month ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • johnb

February 9, 2017 at 8:11 am

This is the reverse of the norm.

The usual procedure is to have a knowledge of the chemical components required to be extracted and then to select a solvent to do this.

• markbroussard

February 9, 2017 at 10:59 am

@gmicca:

There are a handful of commonly used solvents for preparing plant extracts; Water, Propanediol, Butylene Glycol are some of the more commonly used solvents for plant extracts. Is there any particular reason you specifically want to use Propylene Glycol?  As JohnB made reference to … use the solvent best suited for the compounds you want to extract.

• gmicca

February 21, 2017 at 8:28 am

In Papaya, for example, I want to extract the papain and vitamin C. I know that these two are water-soluble. However, I want to use propylene glycol as solvent as it is I have easier access to it’s procurement than other solvents. Using water is more prone microbial growth. I appreciate your inputs. 

• johnb

February 21, 2017 at 8:55 am

There is no point in extracting vitamin C. It is so low cost that extraction is not worth while.

Regarding papain, there are recognised methods of collecting the papaya latex and extracting the papain from that. I doubt it involves propylene glycol.

• gmicca

February 21, 2017 at 9:47 am

@johnb I can’t access the site :(

• johnb

February 21, 2017 at 12:01 pm

Which site? I’ve not given any links here.