Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Color fading in Hair oil and Rinse off products

• Color fading in Hair oil and Rinse off products

Posted by ashish on December 2, 2016 at 11:53 am

Hello Folks, I observed color fading in Hair oil (contains oil soluble color) as well as in rinse off product (contains water soluble color). I tried UV protectant/color protectant like Benzophenone 3 and 4 but as this protectants work to a certain level but after 7 to 10 days, it started fading. This is due to break down of Chromaphore (colour absorbing bodies in dyes) bond. Please suggest me a better colour protectant for finished good product if available. 

ashish replied 7 years, 3 months ago 6 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • chickenskin

December 2, 2016 at 2:49 pm

Sodium sulfite?

• johnb

December 2, 2016 at 3:41 pm

Sodium sulfite usually acts as a reducing bleach, not a colour stabiliser.

UV fading is a very common problem with the soluble (oil/water) colorants approved for use in cosmetic products.

The most reliable answer is to pack in plastic containers which have a UV absorber incorporated into the polymer. Even so, this is not 100% reliable and most colorants will fade in time.

• bill_toge

December 2, 2016 at 6:48 pm

@chickenskin sodium sulphite won’t dissolve in oil-based products

@ashish what kind of oil are you using, and which dyes?

in the past I’ve used D&C Violet 2, D&C Yellow 11, D&C Red 17, D&C Green 6 and D&C Red 30 in oil-based products, and never had any problem with fading

also, the only time I’ve ever seen dyes fade as rapidly as 7-10 days at room temperature was in formulas that had strong oxidising or reducing agents

• belassi

December 2, 2016 at 8:36 pm

If you’re getting this kind of problem then your colours are a bit dodgy. I’d find a better source of approved colours. This kind of thing is quite common. In fact one of my early batches of shampoo changed colour very dramatically from purple to turquoise within seconds of the sun coming out.

• chemist77

December 4, 2016 at 6:20 am

Ashish I have used some very stable water soluble dyes from Neelikon, you can check the oil soluble part as well with them. I had a specific issue with pink/red (water soluble) and Neelikon was on top in terms of the stability. 

• ashish

December 4, 2016 at 6:28 am

ok, thanks Chemist77

• chemist77

December 4, 2016 at 8:37 am

Ashish IIRC it was Lavanya range from them which was specifically stable in my hair gel, kept it out in hot sun for pretty long and it was perfect for my standards. 

• ashish

December 5, 2016 at 6:29 am

Ok, i will try colors from Neelikon