Solibilizer recommendation

I am trying to find a solubilizer to
mix 1% licorice root extract (Glycyrrhiza glabra, water soluble), into a mixture of 99% carrier oils. 

I'm inclined to try Polysorbate 80 but I'm not sure that's the right direction to go in. 

Do you think the Polusorbate 80 would be effective in this situation? Or is there something that would work better and be more stable?

Thanks!!

Comments

• if your licorice extract is water soluble, maybe you can request for an oil soluble one. this will make your formulation a lot easier to make. solvents like DPG, Mineral oil, Sunflower oil, etc can help.
  • I have had very little success locating an oil soluble licorice extract. That's why I need to find an effective solublizers. 
  • BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    Not surprising. There are no oil-soluble licorice extracts, to my knowledge.
    Licorice's active ingredient is glycyrrhizic acid; this is almost insoluble in water, insoluble in oils, really it's only soluble in ethanol. The potassium and ammonium salts are soluble in water but not oil. Frankly I can't see a way to do what you originally asked to do.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    If you're looking for skin brightening properties, you would be better off using an oil-soluble Vitamin C
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • Maybe emulsify it with something?  use cremophor (heating required) / poly 20?  I'd keep trying

• @ BobbiBenski
    Solubility of Glabridin 40 in various solvents

http://asia.in-cosmetics.com/__novadocuments/12986

Hope this helps
    Ameen

• @BobbiBenski ;
     If you are intent on licorice, try:

NET STG (Stearyl Glycyrrhetinat) by Maruzen Pharmaceuticals/Barnet Products - an oil soluble derivative more effective form of Glycyrrehetic acid, the key active in Licorice root
  • Typically, the Licorice Root Extract is use Propylene Glycol as solvent. Please try to mix your extract with Span 80 before add to the carrier oil base. Start from ratio extract : span 80 at 1:5 then increase the span 80 part if the mixing it still not miscible completely.