Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Skin Journalist wondering about history of acne/modern formulations’ effect on acne

Tagged: 

• Journalist wondering about history of acne/modern formulations’ effect on acne

Posted by clairec on November 4, 2016 at 4:34 pm

Hi there, 

I’m a beauty writer at a women’s beauty/fashion site and I’m putting together a piece about the history of acne. I’ve found that there’s a prevailing sentiment out there that modern grooming habits created acne, and a study is commonly cited about two non-industrialized communities without acne. But I’ve also found plenty of evidence out there of acne being cited throughout history. I’m wondering if anyone out there is an expert on this sort of topic, and if I could give you an interview.

Thanks so much
    Claire 
    clairecarusillo@gmail.com

clairec replied 7 years, 4 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • bobzchemist

November 4, 2016 at 5:15 pm

Claire,

From what I know about the way acne happens, it is extremely, even exceptionally, unlikely that modern grooming habits “created” or even exacerbated acne. Just not physiologically possible.

For an acne expert, though, you’re either going to have to find a dermatologist, or a chemist with tons of experience. I’d suggest looking for one or both on the SCC/SCS LinkedIn groups.

Bob

• markbroussard

November 4, 2016 at 5:32 pm

@clairec ;;  

Acne results from a genetic predisposition towards a hormonal imbalance and can be exacerbated by certain foods … It can also be reduced by eating certain other foods.  It generally is prevalent throughout humanity.  It has absolutely nothing to do with grooming habits unless one is using highly comedogenic substances that help block the hair follicles and you are genetically predisposed towards acne.

The two “non-industrialized communities” you are referring to have a low genetic predisposition to acne and their diet is high in “good foods” that help keep acne at bay.  Further, studies confirmed that these communities do not eat a “Western” diet which also contributes to the low to non-existent occurrence in these societies.

• clairec

November 4, 2016 at 7:11 pm

thank you!