Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Deep conditioner duplication help

• Deep conditioner duplication help

Posted by komirra on October 26, 2016 at 5:40 pm

I am duplicating a deep conditioner for dry curly hair for personal use. I am trying to figure out how much BTMS or BTMS 50 I should use. I am struggling with deciding how much to add based on the LOI.

water, behentrimonium methosulfate, cetearyl alcohol, acetyl esters, Orbygnia speciosa   *(babassu) nut oil, biosaccharide gum-1, Euterpe(acai)pulp oil, sodium PCA, sodium lactate, arginine, aspartic acid, PCA, glycine, alanine, serene, valine, proline, threonine, isoleucine, histidine, phenylalanine, Orbignya speciosa kernel oil, Astrocaryum murumuru butter, Pentaclethra macroloba (pracaxi) seed oil, *Rosmarinus officinalis (rosemary) leaf extract, *Helianthus annuus (sunflower) seed oil, dehydroacetic acid, Lavandula agustifolia (lavender) flower oil, Pelargonium graveolens (geranium) flower/leaf oil Salvia officials (sage) leaf oil, *Mentha piperita (peppermint) leaf oil, *citrus paradise(Pink Grapefruit) peel oil, *Litsea cubeba (litsea cubeba) fruit oil, *Mentha (spearmint) leaf oil, Benzyl alcohol

The issue I am having is deciding the level of BTMS. I am ignoring most of the ingredients like the extracts and “fancy oils”. But I was surprised to see behentrimonium methosulfate come before cetearyl alcohol. 

I was guessing the level of behentrimonium methosulfate (pure with no fatty alcohols added)  to be 3% and everything to fall behind that. Is 3% behentrimonium methosulfate enough for a deep conditioner? or too much?

david replied 7 years, 5 months ago 2 Members · 1 Reply
  • 1 Reply
  • david

October 26, 2016 at 7:12 pm

Up to you to decide what a “deep conditioner” is. Use the 1/2 or dubble method to test, 3% is a good starting point.