Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Arnica motana - whuddya know?

• Arnica motana - whuddya know?

Posted by chemicalmatt on September 22, 2016 at 9:45 pm

I am requested to include arnica into a homeopathic muscle pain relief formulation, where it is a widely used application.  My question is which arnica montana is used more, the glycolic extract or the oil?  I’ve seen both used. Anybody know of a preference or an advantage? Formulation can accommodate either, so that is a non-issue. 

oldperry replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • oldperry

September 22, 2016 at 11:20 pm

That’s a new one to me. I thought homeopathic remedies were just water.

• johnb

September 23, 2016 at 7:43 am

Is this an enquiry for a genuine homeopathic product or is it a marketing gimmick?

Real homeopathic products have a defined method of preparation which involves much more than showing the product the cap of the bottle of arnica and hoping for the best.

Perry is quite right in saying that homeopathic remedies are just water but it is the way that the water is prepared that is so important.

Genuine homeopathic manufacturers will either provide the arnica ready prepared for addition to the muscle rub or provide details of its preparation - which is one helluva fuss!

I did some work for a homeopathic company some years ago. Never again- far, far too demanding.

• chemicalmatt

September 23, 2016 at 8:07 pm

In other words, if I may sum up here: you guys don’t know and can’t help, right?  OK, that was meant to be funny, so you should be laughing now. As it happens, I just learned the oil of arnica is used preferentially. Zero science behind it (go figure); its just customary to use it in lipophilic systems.  Bummer is it is a LOT more expensive than the alcohol extract.  Poor me!

• oldperry

September 26, 2016 at 2:42 pm

It’s homeopathic.  Can’t you just take a jug of water and claim that at some point one of the water molecules was in contact with Arnica Montana and that makes it a homeopathic tincture?