Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cosmetic Industry Selling Cosmetic Grade Glitter?

Tagged: ,

• Selling Cosmetic Grade Glitter?

Posted by NatalieRose on September 10, 2016 at 7:30 pm

I was curious as to why many cosmetic companies are selling glitter if it is not FDA approved? One of the most famous makeup artists, who has her own cosmetic line just started selling glitter, but I heard it was illegal to sell glitter for cosmetic use. Can anyone explain how many people can sell glitter without getting in trouble?

bobzchemist replied 7 years, 6 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • microformulation

September 10, 2016 at 8:58 pm

They haven’t been caught yet. It is like explaining how people get away with breaking into houses.

• bobzchemist

September 12, 2016 at 1:58 pm

We had this discussion on another thread - the FDA has put a hold on enforcement for glitters and colored micas, mostly (I think) because they have limited enforcement capability, and they’ve had to choose where to apply it.

It’s not that there’s all that much danger involved with putting glitter or some of the colored micas on your body, but the companies involved are clearly not following the rules - and yes, I think the rules should be changed. Of the two, I think glitter is more dangerous, due to its sharp edges and corners and the potential for damaging the eye if some gets in. Outside of the eye area, there’s no safety issue with either.

Personally, I think that this situation is a ticking time bomb, just waiting for some people’s eyes to get injured by glitter, or for some crusading consumer safety group trying to make a name for themselves. That could happen tomorrow, or it could be ten years from now - there’s just no telling.