Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Requests / Opportunities Formulation Assistance Needed For Ethnic Skincare Line

• Formulation Assistance Needed For Ethnic Skincare Line

Posted by Anonymous on August 23, 2016 at 3:27 pm
    Hello everyone!
    I’ve been a DIY’er since 2010 and will be starting a line of skin serums that will be used for the gradual brightening of the skin, but primarily to lighten dark marks and areas of hyperpigmentation. I have experimented with my own formula, but after consulting with a distributer, they’ve informed me that I require an emulsifier and preservative in my formulation, and additional ingredients.
    The ingredient list that I use currently is as follows: 
     Mequinol 100% (liquified and diluted to 20%)
     Dipropylene Glycol
     Cetyl Alcohol 
     Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate 
     Licorice Root Extract 
     Vitamin A (Retinyl Palmitate, powder form)
     Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide, powder form)
     Aloe Vera (Liquified)
     Jasmine (Fragrance) 
    I have been successful in treating my hyperpigmentation but need assistance with stabilizing my formula before distributing.
    I’d love to speak with any experienced chemists here who would be willing to offer their services to assist with this product formulation.
    Thank you in advance everyone!
    belassi replied 7 years, 7 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • belassi

August 23, 2016 at 5:29 pm

In my opinion you are using a dangerous ingredient

• Anonymous

August 23, 2016 at 6:06 pm

Thank you for your input, Belassi. Although I have not experienced any harmful effects myself, I am currently seeking alternatives.

• belassi

August 23, 2016 at 6:20 pm

That substance is specifically mentioned in relation to darker skin shades. I suggest using one of the more advanced vitamin C derivatives instead.

• Anonymous

August 23, 2016 at 6:42 pm

Yes, I agree. I am contemplating removing mequinol altogether and simply replacing it with magnesium ascorbyl phosphate. Would you consider this to be a strong derivative? 

Otherwise, I have looked into ascorbic acid and ascorbyl palmitate as well.

• belassi

August 23, 2016 at 7:56 pm

I’ve used the palmitate (Apprecier) with great results in fading photo-age spots.