Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Toothpaste Questions

• Toothpaste Questions

Posted by thebrain on August 21, 2016 at 12:04 am

I would like to try making my own toothpaste. After doing some research, I have a pretty good idea of the basic ingredients needed, but I have some questions:

1. Is there a website, similar to UL Prospector, that I can search for and request samples of ingredients?

2. I would like to include arginine to the formula to help with sensitive teeth. Several companies list arginine bicarbonate as the ingredient. I can find most other ingredients that I need, but not this one. Can L-arginine, found in supplements, be used as a substitute?

3. Several commercial brands have no preservative listed. How are they doing this? High pH?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

bill_toge replied 7 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • belassi

August 21, 2016 at 12:22 am

You might be interested to know that I was chatting to my dentist and an endodontist recently and asked them which was better for gum health in their opinion, normal type or bicarbonate type. They both immediately said “bicarbonate”. One example is Parodontax; I use it myself.

• bill_toge

August 21, 2016 at 8:46 pm

I should think the brands without a listed preservative have very low water content, i.e. not enough to sustain microbial growth - this was how we preserved most toothpastes at my last place

also, do you have a mixer that can be run under vacuum?

toothpastes are very prone to aeration, and air is almost impossible to remove from them once it’s trapped; mixing them under vacuum is the easiest way to avoid aeration