Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Formulation for Engine Degreaser and Cleaner

Tagged: 

• Formulation for Engine Degreaser and Cleaner

Posted by ameelyaah0422 on July 6, 2016 at 6:39 am

Hi friends, do you have Engine Degreaser and Cleaner formulation that you can share with me? Though I have researched on something, these are; Kerosene, Dishwashing Soap and Water. I’ll do my testing by next week, would you think thats the right formulation? Im researching as well about the Trisodium Phosphate, any suggestions? Thanks in advance for the help :)

Quimico replied 4 years, 1 month ago 5 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • bobzchemist

July 6, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Truly not a cosmetic or even a household product, so we can’t help much, but maybe we can show you where to get starting formulas. Where have you tried searching for this?

• belassi

July 6, 2016 at 3:03 pm

It’s some kind of soluble oil. Like machine cutting oil.

• ameelyaah0422

July 6, 2016 at 3:17 pm

@Bobzchemist @Belassi about the Engine Degreaser, i got it from this link - http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4590

and for Trisodium Phosphate, at this link: http://www.livestrong.com/article/441033-what-is-tri-sodium-phosphate-used-for/

To be honest with you, i dont know where to start with the formulation. Though im still researching whats the right formula for Engine Degreaser. This coming Saturday, i’ll do my testing if Kerosene, Dishwashing Liquid Soap and Water, combined together, i will see if effective. i will let you know :) Thank you @Bobzchemist @Belassi 

• bobzchemist

July 6, 2016 at 3:21 pm

I’m kind of confused - why are you trying to make homemade degreaser? The Kerosene will work all by itself.

• ameelyaah0422

July 6, 2016 at 3:32 pm

@Bobzchemist Hi, my brother is into Mountain Biking, he buys alot of Spray On degreaser for his bikes which is a bit expensive. Then I thought maybe I can make one for him to cut off expenses. So, just kerosene only? :) nice, i’ll give it try this saturday :) thank you sir @Bobzchemist 

• belassi

July 6, 2016 at 4:54 pm
  • david

July 6, 2016 at 6:48 pm

In my opinion, unless you have a special interest or see it as a fun hobby to make cosmetics, household detergents (or degreasers) yourself, there is no use doing it. It takes a lot of time to develop and @ the end your formula is probably more expensive than at the supermarket anyway.

• Quimico

February 24, 2020 at 1:03 pm

ameelyaah0422 this formula will work great for high foaming degreaser
    1. LABSA               12%
    2. Caustic soda    1.5%
    3. SLES70               8%
    4. STPP.                   3%
    PH TO 12