Fractionated Coconut Oil Emulsion

Hello all. I've been trying to emulsify fractionated coconut oil into a water-soluble blend, but coming up a bit short. Using the HLB system I found that the oil has an HLB of 5. I then paired up two surfactants to match the HLB and blended together. The emulsion is stable for only a few hours and then separates. Any suggestions on what can be used? I am trying to make this into a sprayable formula so can't be too thick. 

Fractionated Coconut Oil - 25%
Span 80 HLB 4.30 - 3.68%
Alcohol Ethoxylate HLB 13.10 - 0.32%
Water - Balance

I have tried bumping up the emulsifiers to 5% but still no luck. Thanks for any suggestions!

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • MakingSkincareMakingSkincare Member, Professional formulator
    You could also try viscoptima LV and simulgel FL.  Don't forget to add a broad spectrum preservative.
    Jane Barber
    www.makingskincare.com
    www.learncosmeticformulation.com (free online course)
    Formulation discussion forum (18,000 members): www.facebook.com/groups/makingskincare/
  • Bill_TogeBill_Toge Member, Professional Chemist
    the required HLB would be 5 if you were making a water-in-oil emulsion; what you want is an oil-in-water emulsion, which would have a higher HLB (typically on the order of 10-15)
    UK based formulation chemist. Strongest subjects: hair styling, hair bleaches, hair dyes (oxidative and non-oxidative) I know some stuff about: EU regulations, emulsions (O/W and W/O), toothpaste, mouthwash, shampoos, other toiletries