Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Staining Deodorants

• Staining Deodorants

Posted by Anonymous on May 16, 2016 at 3:34 pm

Hey guys, 

We’re trying to reduce (and ideally eliminate) the stains that our deodorant can leave behind on clothing.  The INCI of the deodorant is below.  

We’ve gone ahead and tested a few ingredients to see if they are the cause of the stain.  We do this by eliminating Ingredient X from our INCI and making the entire deodorant, and then running some stain tests. Here’s what we believe:  the hydrogenated castor oil, shea butter, baking soda, arrowroot powder, jojoba esters, coconut oil, cera bellina and tocopherol aren’t the main cause of the staining.  

Despite all the claims online, I think it’s the fractionated coconut oil (caprylic/capric triglyceride) that is causing the staining.  

1.  Does anyone have any experience with staining and FCO?  
    2.  Are there any non-staining alternatives to FCO you recommend? 

Thanks!

INCI: Caprylic/capric triglyceride, arrowroot powder, stearyl alcohol, baking soda, shea butter, coconut oil, hydrogenated castor oil, polyglycerol-3 beeswax, jojoba esters, tocopherol, L. acidophilus, dextrose, glyceryl caprylate, glyceryl undecylenate.
    Anonymous replied 7 years, 10 months ago 1 Member · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • bobzchemist

May 16, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I’d suggest trying some other emollients, although I’m not sure if they’d be staining or not, and I doubt there’s any published data on this. If I were you, I’d take this opportunity to switch to a drier-feeling emollient, as well.

So, Diisopropyl Adipate, PEG-4 Diheptanoate, Isocetyl Alcohol, Dicaprylyl Carbonate, Methylheptyl Isostearate, and PPG-3 Isostearyl Methyl Ether, among others, are all ingredients that I’d investigate.

• Anonymous

May 16, 2016 at 5:18 pm

Hey Bob, 

Would you or your employer be interested in working on a project like this?  I’d be happy to chat about our needs and your costs, if you’re interested. 

• Anonymous

May 18, 2016 at 5:27 pm

@Bobzchemist, figured I’d follow up one more time..

• bobzchemist

May 18, 2016 at 6:46 pm

Send me a message with contact information, please.

• Anonymous

May 19, 2016 at 11:42 pm

@Bobzchemist, done.  Thanks Bob!