Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Science Hydrometer

• Hydrometer

Posted by Anonymous on April 25, 2016 at 7:37 pm

Does anyone know where I can purchase a hydrometer to measure the volume of peroxide ? I have searched the Internet and have not been successful. Thank you

bill_toge replied 7 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • david

April 25, 2016 at 9:37 pm

? Amazon came up with >2000 results
    However if you want to measure it precisely (for QC) you need to titrate

• belassi

April 25, 2016 at 11:11 pm

Do you mean measure the volumetric concentration of H2O2? It occurs to me that you could boil say 250 grams of it in a reflux setup (Vertically mounted Liebig condenser) to remove the excess oxygen. What remains is H2O. Then weigh the remaining water, and do the Math. I’m not absolutely sure that boiling will remove all of the extra oxygen, I’d have to check.

• Anonymous

April 26, 2016 at 1:53 am

I am looking for a device to drop into h202 to use when breaking down from 100 volume to say 20. I had one in the 80’s. The only ones I have seen are for wine and alcohol preparation.

• belassi

April 26, 2016 at 2:35 am

With some thought and glass tubing it might be possible to design one. An old geezer called Archimedes is relevant. It’s physics.
    Please disregard my idea about boiling off the oxygen (unless you are doing it in the open air) because filling your lab with oxygen is not a good idea.

• ozgirl

April 26, 2016 at 4:22 am

If you are using pure H2O2 solutions, any hydrometer that measures the specific gravity of a liquid can be used and then you can convert the SG to concentration.
    http://h2o2.evonik.com/product/h2o2/en/about-hydrogen-peroxide/basic-information/calculations/pages/calculate.aspx

You can get hydrometers from any lab supplies store. Just get one that matches the range of SG values that you will need.

• bill_toge

April 26, 2016 at 11:00 am

@David is correct: if you want an accurate result, the best method is titrating it with potassium permanganate