Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Oil Based pomade too hard for scoop

• Oil Based pomade too hard for scoop

Posted by Anonymous on April 22, 2016 at 4:48 am

So I have this Formulation to make my Pomade

Beeswax 28g
    Castor oil 10ml
    Essential oil 10ml
    Lanolin 28g

Bu in the end, when the formulation begin to cool,, its perfect but the product is very hard to scoop. Any idea how to make the final product less easy to scoop, i have some idea to add some petrolatum or cocoa butter,, but i need your experience and better advice

johnb replied 7 years, 6 months ago 8 Members · 15 Replies
  • 15 Replies
  • Anonymous

April 22, 2016 at 6:56 am

add more carrier oil

• Anonymous

April 22, 2016 at 7:57 am

Thanks @ridznsiti I try it once, the result become very hard in upper layer and too weak (like a jam or creamy) in inside,, im wondering what happend

• DesignCosmetics

April 25, 2016 at 2:54 am

The formula doesn’t add up to 100%.
    I would suggest use all the ingredients by weight and complete the formula to make it 100%. Also add more oil. Add a lighter oil like caprylic capric triglycerides along with castor oil. You can also try coconut oil which will solidify when u cool the batch at a very lower temp. I have made an anhydrous product which was softer than pomade with less beeswax but wud solidify after cooling and scoop out easily.

• chemist77

May 1, 2016 at 6:00 am

Knock off 25% each of the beeswax and lanolin, add it to castor oil and take it from there if you have to go up or low in waxes and lanolin. 

• BartJ

May 1, 2016 at 8:24 am

@Rifqyshindy 
    I’m quite into those pomades myself and let me tell you what I like to do.
    http://www.the-pomp-official.com/
    The guy from this website has reviewed hundreds - hundreds! - of pomades. You can learn so much from him on the final user experience. When you see one there that gets great reviews, just check their ingredients and grow your formula along.
    The 4 you listed now, it’s a good exercise but it’s not enough, I promise it’s just not enough to make a good styling product. Go ahead and see what people are using in their waterless pomades.
    Also… You now have 12,8% essential oil. For a number of EOs out there you’ll reach toxic levels. Keep it at 1%.

>the result become very hard in upper layer and too weak (like a jam or creamy) in inside,, im wondering what happend

The disparity between melting points of wax and carrier oils is causing this. You need a melting point bridge. And the product must be cooled down with the lid on. Otherwise the air will flash cool the wax in the top layer and leave the ‘jam’ below.

• chemist77

May 1, 2016 at 4:18 pm

@BartJ a very good one that!!!

• Anonymous

May 2, 2016 at 6:45 am

Thanks Guys,, its very2 good advice,, especialy @BartJ,,, i agree with @Chemist77 thats realy good one 

• Anonymous

June 7, 2016 at 12:35 am

I am trying to make a simple hair styling paste. I have started with 50% beeswax and 50% petroleum jelly. I would like to add an ingredient that will cause stringiness. This feature is sometimes referred to as a “taffy pull” or “fiber” or “plastic” or “stretchy”. An example of this feature would be Paul Mitchell’s Elastic Shaping Paste. Does anyone know how I can achieve this?
    Will it need something to prevent separation? Does it need a preservative? Will appreciate any comments.

• bill_toge

June 7, 2016 at 6:51 am

@22tiare@gmail.com  you need to start a new thread

• Anonymous

June 7, 2016 at 11:17 pm

How do I start a new thread?

• bobzchemist

June 8, 2016 at 2:17 am

Press the “New Discussion” button.

Otherwise, first you grow and harvest cotton…

• Anonymous

June 8, 2016 at 3:55 am

Very funny. Thanks.

• adynug

August 25, 2016 at 6:17 pm

Rifqyshindy  Sorry, from my experience you have to stir it well before pouring to package and leave it cool

• crisbaysauli

September 5, 2016 at 9:20 am

had the same experience with beeswax and microcrystalline wax. i’m trying to look now for a supplier of candelilla wax since from reviews this material is said to “melt at skin temperature” and produce a softer wax than beeswax.

• johnb

September 10, 2016 at 9:07 am

Candelilla wax melts at around 70°C.

It is a very hard wax.