Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Clear crystal formula

Tagged: 

• Clear crystal formula

Posted by celine13009 on January 7, 2016 at 8:33 am

Hello everybody,

I would like to make a clear crystal formula. I don’t have a refractometer. 
    It is a water soluble pomade.
    Phase A :
    Eau
    PVP

Phase B :
    Ceteareth 25
    Phase A & Phase B : 85°C
    Phase B into phase A
    I would like to use Glycerin or Propylene Glycol or PEG to adjust transparency.
    Is it possible to adjust transparency with plasticizers ? Because it is not an emulsion but a water soluble formula. When can I add this raw material ? Have you got another idea ? 
    alwayslearning replied 8 years ago 5 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • oldperry

January 9, 2016 at 1:15 am

Did you try to make the formula?  What did you get? 

I don’t think you’ll be able to do it with Ceteareth 25 in your formula. 
  • celine13009

January 11, 2016 at 3:10 pm

Others companies suceeded to do this formula with ceteareth 25 and they have a perfect clear crystal formula .. 

As I don’t have a refractometer, it is very difficult to adjust tranparency with glycerin, propylen glycol or PEG. I don’t suceed to do this.
  • bobzchemist

January 11, 2016 at 3:17 pm

This is where experimentation comes into play. Make your formula, make a number of batches from it, adding a little more glycerin in each batch. You don’t need a refractometer. 

• celine13009

January 11, 2016 at 3:21 pm

Is it possible to adjust transparency with glycerin ? Because it is not an emulsion, so i have 2 similar phases and there are interactions between theses 2 phases (water and surfactant).

• celine13009

January 13, 2016 at 3:31 pm
  • bobzchemist

January 13, 2016 at 9:29 pm

water and surfactant should be soluble in each other

• celine13009

January 14, 2016 at 8:14 am

@ Bobzchemist Yes, so we have just 1 phase and it is not possible to get transparency because we have just 1 refractive index. What do you think ? 

• Ayla

January 14, 2016 at 2:39 pm

I’m sorry but I’m feeling really stupid right now : Is it possible to do that with ceteareth 25 ? Is it a microemulsion ?

• bobzchemist

January 14, 2016 at 2:53 pm

The TDS says that Cremophor A25 (ceteareth 25) dissolves in water and alcohol to make either a clear solution or a colloid. I’d try adding different levels of ethanol to your cremophor/water solution to see if you can get it to clear up.

• bobzchemist

January 14, 2016 at 2:55 pm

Also, this is on the Dewolf website:

“Cremophor A 25 is a cosmetic grade oil-in-water emulsifier, which is used for the production of ointments, creams, liquid emulsions, gels and other cosmetic formulations. Supplied in the form of free-flowing, non-dusting micro-granules that dissolve in water and alcohol to form either a colloid or a clear solution. Cremophor A 25 is soluble in vegetable and mineral fats and oils. The warm emulsifiers can be mixed with mineral, vegetable, and synthetic fats and oils, as well as with fatty alcohols, fatty acids, mono- and di-stearates, and with polyethylene glycols. Creams and lotions can be formulated easily. If Cremophor A 25 is used together with cetyl or stearyl alcohol or both, homogeneous ointment and cream bases are obtained that can absorb as much as 90% water. Cremophor A 25 is a very efficient protective colloid and can increase the stability of dispersed systems. In concentrations of 21 – 30%, Cremophor A 25 forms gel-like, brushable hydrates with water. The consistency of these gels can be adjusted from solid to liquid by adding small amounts of Luviskol® K 17.”
  • alwayslearning

March 18, 2016 at 11:11 pm
    Try this: 

Heat up the Cremophor A 25 (about 20-25%) till it melts (I’m guessing around 85-90C) and heat up water to the same heat. Add water (QS%) to cremophor A 25 very slowly with good mixing. Try to avoid aeration but it’s okay if there’s air. It should all rise to the top anyway. This is a microemulsion and should give a clear gel/pomade. Key is slow addition of water. After you do that, add whatever amount of PVP you want (1-3%?) at about 80C. don’t forget preservatives! I would try adding euxyl pe 9010 (0.5-1%) at 80C. Then pour.