Vitamin K and Retinol

When I combine Retinol 50C (which is retinol and Polysorbate 20 and some BHA and BHT) with Vitamin K, my product turns red in color.  I am using high levels of each ingredient.  I decided to perform a test by adding each ingredient together and sure enough it forms a red color instantly.  To eliminate any issue with ethoxylates, I tested Vitamin K with Polysorbate 20 and no color problem.  Can anyone tell me what is happening?  When I do test the two ingredients together, the red color is formed but no precipitation forms at least not at room temperature after a week.  Any insight into this reaction would be helpful.

Comments

• BelassiBelassi Member, PCF student
    Since vitamin A is a yellow or orange substance, and the two vitamins are both fat-soluble, my best guess is that a reduction reaction takes place and free Vitamin A is produced.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MarkBroussardMarkBroussard Member, Professional Chemist
    Electron transfer to a high energy orbital
    Chemist/Microbiologist formulating in the Organic & Naturals arena under ECOCert/Natural Products Assn/Whole Foods/National Organic Program guidelines focused skincare & haircare products. 

See website for details www.desertinbloomcosmeticslab.com
  • BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    "I am using high levels of each ingredient." I would not recommend this concept, and most especially not without extensive safety testing, including RIPT.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • I have noticed same color change color turns dark yellow.. with Vitamin K not A. Anyone can help?
  • I think Vitamin K is photosensitive because it involves directly in plant photosynthesis.  If you are making the formulation sample in a glass beaker or glass jar, did you wrap the beaker / jar with foil sheet to protect the sample from light?
  • The color change is instantaneous so light exposure is not a factor.  Interested in knowing more about the reduction reaction.  When you say 'free' Vitamin A is formed from the reaction with Vitamin K then what forms - the ester of Vitamin A?  Also what happens to the Vitamin K - is it oxidized?