Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Can oils rich in tannins/flavonoids destroy cationic emulsion?

• Can oils rich in tannins/flavonoids destroy cationic emulsion?

Posted by anait on November 20, 2015 at 12:58 am

Hi all, I have encountered a strange phenomena recently, while formulating a hair conditioner, which contains grape seed oil among other things( I am using BTMS 80 as an emulsifier). I was able to get a stable emulsion when using a refined grape seed oil , but when I changed it to the unrefined version, I could not get a stable emulsion any more! Is it possible that tannins, flavonoids in the unrefined grape seed oil interfere with emulsification process?

belassi replied 8 years, 4 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • belassi

November 20, 2015 at 7:27 am

According to the HLD model, the presence of electrolytes, salts, etc alters the required emulsifier values quite markedly. I posted a PDF link to the book about this a little while ago. It’s not bed time reading but it is very useful and interesting. I can’t really comment further because I have no experience with that emulsifier. So the answer to your question, is yes.

• anait

November 20, 2015 at 4:36 pm

Thanks, Belassi! Could you please advise how can I get hold of that link? What should I search for and where? 

Thanks in advance!
  • belassi

November 20, 2015 at 5:37 pm