Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Hair cream

• Hair cream

Posted by naturalista on February 25, 2014 at 3:25 pm

Hi I  wanted to know if water for a hair cream could be replaced with aloe juice and or aloe gel. I want it to retain curls and eliminate frizz. I was thinking of adding a polyquat.  Any suggestions or ideas?

Gustavo replied 10 years ago 6 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • oldperry

February 25, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Aloe gel or Aloe juice is >90% water so it won’t matter much.  It would essentially be the same as using water. 

A Polyquat could help aid in reducing frizz but a silicone might work better.
  • naturalista

February 26, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Thanks for your reply. Do polyquats help retain curls. I see this ingredient in some high end products that boast of specifically retaining curls but I am not sure which ingredient is helping in achieving curl retention. I am speculating in saying that aloe juice or gel would be more beneficial than water. Am I correct?

• Ayla

February 27, 2014 at 4:27 am

Ashland (ISP) have some good products to do that.

• chemicalmatt

February 27, 2014 at 6:08 pm

Naturalista, not all Polyquaterniums have styling ability. Most do not. There are so many, too. Ayla gave you a great first step, since ISP (now Ashland) came out with one of the first: Polyquaternum-11 (Gafquat). I’ll recommend Styleze W-17 terpolymer from that same manufacturer. By the way, here’s some trivia:  the GAF in Gafquat is from GAF Corporation, more famous for their recording tape, which bought the technology from the Antar Corporation, then sold to ISP.  All of which probably ocurred before you were born. THAT’S how long Polyquaternium-11 has been used in styling products. 

• naturalista

March 2, 2014 at 2:05 pm

I wanted to know if aloe juice/ aloe gel  would be more efficient at retaining curls than just plain old water.

• bobzchemist

March 2, 2014 at 3:47 pm

Probably not. But the only way to find out is to test it yourself.

• naturalista

March 8, 2014 at 8:36 pm

I am looking for an ingredient to do just that retain curls. any suggestions

• bobzchemist

March 8, 2014 at 9:55 pm

The first question you have to answer is: how will you test to see if we’re telling you the truth?

• oldperry

March 12, 2014 at 10:31 am

No.  Aloe juice / aloe gel will not be more efficient at retaining curls.  But like @bobzchemist said the only way for you to know is to test it yourself.  

• naturalista

March 14, 2014 at 5:06 pm

Ok guys I tried with the aloe gel  and it helped a little but not enough. Their was still frizz and curls did not retain after a couple of hours. How can I achieve this? There must be a specific chemical/ ingredient that will help retain curls longer. Its looks nice at first with the aloe gel but does not hold afterwards.

• Gustavo

March 17, 2014 at 8:14 am

Try ashland polymers such as Gafquat 755 (Polyquaternium-11) and Styleeze W17 (Polyquaternium-55). There’s Croda’s Lustreplex (Polyquaternium-70). And there also Akzo Nobel’s Celquat H100 (Polyquaternium-4).

• naturalista

March 19, 2014 at 10:19 pm

Do you know of any of their distributors?

• naturalista

March 19, 2014 at 10:20 pm

They only sell in large quantities and I need something much smaller especially since I am looking to try it out first.

• Gustavo

March 20, 2014 at 10:04 am

Sorry, I don’t know of any distributors because I’m from Brazil.