Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Before preservative testing

• Before preservative testing

Posted by Anonymous on September 30, 2015 at 8:24 am

We are getting ready to send our products to Microbiological Preservative Efficacy Test, Cosmetic Product Stability Testing and a Cosmetic Product Safety Report. We where thinking about using NaturallyThinking, but if you have any other recommendations, please let me know. Before we do this, to save time, I would like to discuss the preservatives that our formulators have used and the packaging. 

The packaging is Lumson TAG Techno Airless Glass bottles. This is a completely airless bottle with a pouch inside where the product is inserted. We are also using plastic tubes for some of our products. The products use many Active Concepts ingredients preserved with Leucidal Liquid.

The preservatives we intend on using is Lexgard® Natural (glyceryl caprylate (and) glyceryl undecylenate), Dermosoft® 688 (p-Anisic Acid) and Dermofeel ® PA-3 (Sodium Phytate, Water, Alcohol).

oldperry replied 8 years, 5 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • bill_toge

September 30, 2015 at 8:57 am

for challenge testing, I’d recommend MelBec Microbiology in Lancashire - we use them regularly and they’re a good reliable test house

for safety assessments, I’d recommend EF Chemical Consulting - reliable again, they take a sensible approach, and their turnaround times are usually prompt
    don’t know about stability testing though, we do that in-house
    now I’ve never used NaturallyThinking, but they seem to outsource everything to third parties (they won’t let you speak to any staff other than the receptionist if you try to phone them), and the fee they charge for a safety assessment is absurdly low - they definitely seem too good to be true!
  • bobzchemist

September 30, 2015 at 5:48 pm

You might also want to reach out to Inolex and/or Dr Straetman’s to see if they’d be willing to run any of the micro testing for you.

• oldperry

October 6, 2015 at 1:36 pm

If you’re located in the US, Cosmetic Test Labs is a good resource for getting micro testing done.