Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Cleansing oil surfactant

• Cleansing oil surfactant

Posted by cossci21 on February 23, 2014 at 8:15 pm

Hi Everyone

I am formulating  a cleansing oil that contains olive oil, apricot seed oil, jojoba oil and a few other ‘natural’ oils to use in the cleanser.
    I am looking for a surfactant to use to provide removal of make up etc, the more natural the better.
    I am stumbled across a peg-7 olive ester but dont really want to use pegs as these days it is seen as nasty.
    Any other ideas? I was thinking of using tween 20?
    cossci21 replied 10 years, 1 month ago 4 Members · 4 Replies
  • 4 Replies
  • bobzchemist

February 24, 2014 at 10:02 am

Are you trying for ingredient label appearances or to actually avoid certain classes of surfactants?

• Ruben

February 24, 2014 at 3:04 pm

Polyglyceryl-5-oleate is a PEG-free emulsifier that can serve this purpose. You can get a transparent oil gel as far as you don’t introduce air bubbles while mixing.

• bill_toge

February 24, 2014 at 6:49 pm

Tween 20 is ethoxylated, so if you want to avoid PEGs you’d have to avoid that too

Ajinomoto do some mild cleansing surfactants based on amino acids and vegetable fats; they’re sold under the tradenames Amisoft and Amilite

more details here - http://www.ajichem.com/en/products/anionic-surfactants.aspx

• cossci21

February 27, 2014 at 4:43 am

Hi great thanks for that I will definitely look into the Polyglyceryl-5-oleate and Ajinomoto.

Bobzchemist more for label appearance really!