Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Clear shampoo and order of addition

• Clear shampoo and order of addition

Posted by palash1865 on August 13, 2015 at 7:42 am

Hello, 

I have a few doubts regarding order of addition. Kindly try and explain them if you get time.
    1)I added 1 mL of citric acid to 30 mL of water and then added 0.6 grams of guar hydroxypropyltrimonium chloride. The resulting solution was really messy and GHTC gelatinises instantly . But when I add GHTC to water first and then add citric acid, I get a transparent solution. What could be the reason behind it?
    2)I am trying to make a clear shampoo and performed knockout experiments, and got to know that it’s difficult to solubilise CAPB and Coco DEA and they may be the reason why I am not getting a perfectly clear shampoo , can you suggest something to solve this issue?
    3) CAPB imparts a golden colour to the solution as well. I tried putting in more surfactant to remove it but it won’t go.
    4)I am using salt and GHTC as hydrophilic thickeners and Coco DEA as a hydrophobic thickener, I’ve read that using other hydrophilic thickeners other than PEG do not thicken the solution much, is it true?
    chemist77 replied 8 years, 7 months ago 3 Members · 2 Replies
  • 2 Replies
  • belassi

August 13, 2015 at 3:20 pm

None of the CAPB I have ever used gave a golden colour. Nor does it present a solubility problem. Are you sure what you are using? What do YOU mean by ‘CAPB’?

• chemist77

August 13, 2015 at 6:12 pm

Cocamidopropylbetaine, its readily soluble in water and I never had any solubility issue as such, as for color check with your supplier.
    As for the mess of GHTC, wetting is important before you shock it with low pH.