• Packaging costs

Posted by Nick_Truman on August 10, 2015 at 3:25 pm

Hello everyone,

Is it normal that among the 10 printers that I contacted, 6 ignore me totally despite my repeated calls, 3 refuse to bid (they said that my small order of 500 units don’t worth it and only one gave me an offer?

Besides, the only company that bid offers the following prices:

Boxes: $ 1,050
    Labels: $ 320
    Inserts: $ 480

Total with taxes (in Canada): $ 2,130

In your experience, is this reasonable prices or they are cheating me?

Thank you for enlighten me.

Ruben replied 8 years, 7 months ago 5 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • belassi

August 10, 2015 at 4:59 pm

$320 for 500 labels? What size? That is 60c per label? Think I pay around 10 cents US equivalent for a label on a 2 oz pot.

I do not understand why you are having such problems.
    It might be helpful if you would specify the sizes, and what do you mean by “insert”?
  • Nick_Truman

August 10, 2015 at 5:46 pm

So here, I wish to print boxes, labels and inserts for a 50 ml jar (a first batch of 500 units).

I will now detail the specifications.

The box:

-It must be large enough to contain a circular 50 ml jar (jar size: 4.8 cm height with a diameter of 5.8 cm)

-Since cream and jar together weigh about 50 grams, no need for an automatic bottom or quick lock. A very ordinary folding packing shall be sufficient (folded flap reverse tuck end or a straight tuck end)

-The kind of finish that I want is regular gloss

-Due To the low order quantity (500 units), I guess that digital printing is the best choice. Also, I don’t need an accurate color. The variations of the same color don’t matter me. So 4 colors is correct. No need to use Pantone colors.

-There Wwill be no printing within the box

The label:

-2 Labels 1.9 cm by 6 cm (Initially, I planned a label of 1.9 cm by 17 cm, but I realize that the more longer it is, the more difficult it will be to stick it to the jar. Moreover, most of the information will be printed on the box and the insert. Therefore, 2 labels of 1.9 cm by 6 cm for each jar seem to be sufficient).

-The labels will be made of paper with a gloss finish and round corners

The insert (to put into the box):

-Color printing for both sides with a gloss finish, 21 cm by 15 cm

• oldperry

August 11, 2015 at 3:17 pm

It’s not surprising that a run of 500 doesn’t get a lot of attention. For a printer that is not a big job.

You might get a quote from this company. http://www.sklabel.com/  I’ve used them in the past and found them reasonable.

• belassi

August 11, 2015 at 4:42 pm

Paper labels are useless. I suggest you consult a printer with experience in labels. Ours are printed on MacTac. You will need to supply a proper label file to the printer, typically an Adobe Illustrator file with the bleed area correctly marked. Also, the printer will need to be able to precut the labels because they will be printed (typically) with a 2 metre cone radius, i.e. curved in the exact compensation for the cone taper of the plastic jar.

• bobzchemist

August 11, 2015 at 7:08 pm

You might look at a local place, like a fedex office/Kinkos, to print your inserts.

• Ruben

August 11, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Try this:
    http://www.yourboxsolution.com/
    They do short runs at a reasonable price