Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General I need help with my foaming

• I need help with my foaming

Posted by wahabness54 on August 6, 2015 at 4:06 pm

Dear perry

I am having problems with my soap, it does not bubble well is there anything am not doing right?.
    my ingredient are:  Water (Aqua) (12kg), Sodium Laureth Sulfate 1kg, Sodium Chloride 1kg, glycerine 200ml, propylene Glycol 200ml, Pearlizer 100ml, preservative 5ml, Eucalyptus oil 10ml.

process: i dissolve all the sodium chloride in water mix and stir with the Sodium Laureth Sulfate until it dissolved and add the rest of the ingredient. please help me.
    RobertG replied 8 years, 3 months ago 8 Members · 14 Replies
  • 14 Replies
  • oldperry

August 6, 2015 at 6:42 pm

Putting eucalyptus oil in your product is killing your foam.  

• bobzchemist

August 6, 2015 at 7:06 pm
    First off, it’s real confusing to mix weights and volumes in a formula. We prefer percentages. Roughly, your formula is: 

Water 82.67%
    Sodium Laureth Sulfate 6.89%
    Sodium Chloride 6.89%
    glycerin 1.38%
    propylene Glycol 1.38%
    Pearlizer 0.69%
    preservative 0.03%
    Eucalyptus oil 0.07%

The first thing that jumps out at me is that you don’t have enough preservative, unless you are using something truly nasty that shouldn’t be on skin anyway.

There’s not enough eucalyptus oil that taking it out will improve your foam much.

Sorry, but 6.89% SLS is simply not enough surfactant, particularly since you are only using one.
  • thebrain

August 6, 2015 at 8:43 pm

If you tell us the purpose of this cleaner, it would make it easier to help you. For example, if this is a shampoo, you probably want somewhere between 25-40% surfactants. Usually a blend is preferred over a single surfactant, both for performance and to improve mildness.

• oldperry

August 7, 2015 at 12:02 am

6.89% salt is too high too.

• wahabness54

August 7, 2015 at 7:16 am

Thank you very much for the response 

the purpose of my cleaner is to release stress and also to enjoy bathing
    At Perry what percentage of salt and sle do i need to make my soap foam 
    thank you 
  • wahabness54

August 7, 2015 at 7:43 am

Please can you throw more light on the sls and salt, what amount needed to foam well

• bobzchemist

August 7, 2015 at 2:17 pm

If you are not capable of determining this experimentally, you should not be using chemicals to make anything. For your own safety, please buy pre-made products.

• oldperry

August 7, 2015 at 2:27 pm

To determine salt levels see our post on the subject.  https://chemistscorner.com/salt-curve-analysis-how-to-control-cleansing-cosmetics/

But salt will not have a large impact on foam.  It’s just that if you use too much you don’t get viscosity control plus it can be stinging to eyes.

Salt Curve Analysis - How to control cleansing cosmetics

• markbroussard

August 7, 2015 at 8:02 pm

Generally, your salt curve will peak at about 2.5% to 3% as a viscosity enhancer.  Thereafter, additional salt will actually thin your product.

Increase your SLS to the 30% to 40% range.
    Add the salt as the last step in your formulation.  Try using 2%, 2.5% and 3.0% to see the effect on viscosity.
  • haxtone

August 7, 2015 at 10:36 pm

What preservative are you using at 0.03% ?

Also instead of just using SLS try maybe Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, Lauryl Glucoside & Cocamidopropyl Betain blend.
    Ditch the Salt!
  • luiscuevasii

August 8, 2015 at 4:14 am

Come on Bob.. You used to be nice.
    I think that this site isn’t only for experimented cosmetic chemist.
    BTW the pearlizer could be killing the foam too. But the main problem is that you are using only 1 surfactant in low percent.

• bobzchemist

August 8, 2015 at 7:42 pm

Sorry, he caught me at a bad moment. I’m getting tired of people who want me to do all their work for them and/or do not have the patience to do any research on their own.

• wahabness54

August 9, 2015 at 7:54 am

Thank you everyone 

your response has been useful.
    as advice by Bob i will start experimenting to get the best formula 

• RobertG

December 21, 2015 at 3:36 am

I think the concentration of sodium laureth sulfate may be even lower than stated, because where do you get it as a dry material?  It’s probably a solution which may be 30%-70% actives.