Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Is this safe?

• Is this safe?

Posted by gmagerr on July 28, 2015 at 2:34 pm

Hi all,

I’m not a chemist. I am making my own hair products like all the other DIY people out there. Beeswax, coconut oil, essential oils, etc. it’s OK, but I want to formulate something of a higher quality. Beeswax is definitely hard to wash out of hair, and I think may be a turn off for customers. I’ve looked around at alternatives to beeswax, and I’m seeing commercial products use PVP, Carbomer 940, stuff like that as fixatives and thickeners. Is it safe to experiment mixing these into formulas? I mean, can you get hurt or exposed to something bad by doing this? I found some formulas online for pomade and hair wax that I’d like to try, but I don’t want to simply do it without knowing the potential effects. I look forward to your responses.
    Thanks
    oldperry replied 8 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 5 Replies
  • 5 Replies
  • microformulation

July 28, 2015 at 3:42 pm

There is a reason we get University level training in Cosmetic Science. Those materials could be dangerous but that is less likely than the difficulty working with those products. It takes years to learn the properties of those materials. Hire a Consultant.

• bobzchemist

July 28, 2015 at 4:23 pm

If you’re just making products for yourself, the safest thing to do is go to a reputable site, like Susan’s Point of Interest! (http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/ ) and follow the formulas exactly.

If you’re planning on selling things? Hire a consultant.
  • belassi

July 28, 2015 at 6:12 pm

You are more likely to harm yourself when using some of the raw materials rather than putting them on your hair. Carbomer for example; you do not want to inhale any of it. Bob’s suggestion is excellent.

• markbroussard

July 28, 2015 at 6:33 pm

Yes, if you do not know what you are doing, it could be harmful.  Why don’t you consider taking Perry’s Online course.

• oldperry

July 29, 2015 at 12:39 am

Thanks Mark!

You can do that through here.  https://chemistscorner.com/members