Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General FDA labeling on Net Wt. vs. Fluid Oz.

• FDA labeling on Net Wt. vs. Fluid Oz.

Posted by david08848 on July 6, 2015 at 8:52 pm

Folks,

I went to the FDA site, downloaded documents and looked over the packaging information but am still confused.  This make be a simple question but I’ll ask it anyway!  I am going to be selling Liquid Soap again and I want to make sure that I do the labeling correctly.  I have checked out liquid products online and found many using “Fluid Oz.” on the label, others used “New Wt.”  and some listing ml/oz.

Which of these does the FDA require?

Also, 16 oz. of my soap is too little in the 16 oz. bottle and leaves an empty “space” at the top but 16 fl.oz. seems a bit too much for the bottle to handle!  Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.  I just want to make sure that I do this correctly.  I am confident that the label and all the INCI names are correct so it is just this one simple issue!

David

david08848 replied 8 years, 8 months ago 2 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • david08848

July 6, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Sorry, “This MAY be a simple question” and “NET Wt.”…
    8-|

• bobzchemist

July 7, 2015 at 12:50 am

The FDA ha no jurisdiction over weights and measures. This is the FTC and the NIST, and some state regulations also. This might help:

http://www.nist.gov/pml/wmd/pubs/upload/h133-2015-web-final.pdf 

NIST Handbook 133 - 2015 (Current Edition) Checking the Net Contents of Packaged Goods

• david08848

July 7, 2015 at 2:42 am

Thanks Bob,

I went to the site and found the document and downloaded it.  I’m looking it over now.  It seems that this issue is more complicated than I expected!  I ended up filling the “16 oz.” containers by weight and came up with 18 oz. as the net weight to fill them high enough to get the pump in with enough head room for the product.  I’ll look more carefully at this document…

David