Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Long lasting fragrance body soap

• Long lasting fragrance body soap

Posted by nijam on May 12, 2015 at 10:38 am

currently i’m doing RnD for finding the best formulation for a long lasting soap scent.

Problem is the fragrance is not last longer as i need. i try added up until 5% of fragrance and getting same result.
    Is there any ingredients that should i add to make the fragrance last longer? 

*i’m using melt n pour soap.

chemist77 replied 8 years, 10 months ago 5 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • chemist77

May 12, 2015 at 12:59 pm

depends on perfume type nd other formulation parameters, ask ur supplier for substantive perfume for such rinse off product nd make sure ur temperature is conducive to the fragrance stability.

• MakingSkincare

May 12, 2015 at 7:31 pm

Ask the perfumer to add more base notes and fixatives to the fragrance and try adding the fragrance at the end of the process when the soap is as cool as possible so as to minimise fragrance loss from evaporation.

• belassi

May 13, 2015 at 2:45 am

This is a hot process soap? If so, probably the fragrance is flashing off due to the temp being above its vapour phase. Also, if you don’t wrap soap, the fragrance fades during cure. Really need to know more.

• nijam

May 13, 2015 at 4:02 am

@Belassi It’s hot process. I think i know where my mistake.. I adding fragrance while the soap is still hot. so the fragrance fades away. 

• belassi

May 13, 2015 at 5:37 am

Yes. The f.o. is just immediately evaporating into the air. You have to let it cool below the critical temperature for your fragrance. 5% of fragrance is expensive. I use 4% max. in cold process soap. You may find that using one or two essential oils in a low % can help give a nice aroma. For instance 3% mint f.o. + 0.5% peppermint e.o. gives a very refreshing aroma.

• nijam

May 14, 2015 at 9:05 am

@belassi thanks sir for helping sir. If i add 0.2% menthol crystal(*food grade) into my soap,does it give cool refreshing effect? 

• belassi

May 14, 2015 at 4:56 pm

I can’t say. Try it and see!

• nijam

May 28, 2015 at 6:20 am

@belassi Sir,is there any chemicals or Ingredients that can be added in soap formulation to prevent body odours?

• chemist77

May 28, 2015 at 6:31 am

TCC used to be a fav one, though not sure about its current status.

• nijam

May 28, 2015 at 7:24 am

it is Triclocarban? what did you mean about current status? 

• bobzchemist

May 28, 2015 at 1:59 pm

It’s about to be banned in the US for use in antibacterial soap (as are all the other antibacterials).

• chemist77

May 28, 2015 at 7:46 pm

As @Bobzchemist out that it might be on its way out I think this is one of the reasons why such products have lost the sheen and consumer acceptance. Not too many such products are seen in the market now.