Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Adding Zinc Oxide to lotions and creams

Tagged: ,

• Adding Zinc Oxide to lotions and creams

Posted by lkatic on May 7, 2015 at 8:43 pm

Hey everyone, 

I’m seeking guidance on making a lotion with natural sunblock (eg. Zinc Oxide). Upon formulating, can Zinc Oxide (non nano) be added to the lotion or should it be added to the oil phase at the start? 
    Thanks so much
    cherri replied 8 years, 8 months ago 6 Members · 9 Replies
  • 9 Replies
  • markbroussard

May 8, 2015 at 12:01 pm

It is critical that you get an even dispersion of the ZnO for your sunscreen to be effective.  So, best your predisperse in a carrier oil before forming your emulsion.

• lkatic

May 12, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Mark, thank you so much! I will try that.

Lara
  • MakingSkincare

May 12, 2015 at 9:43 pm
    Hi lkatic, if you aren’t able to access a homogenizer and SPF testing facilities these posts might be of interest:-

Sunscreen is also classed as a drug by the FDA.

To add to Mark’s comments, below pH 6 the solubility of zinc oxide increases and it may migrate from the oil phase to the water phase causing pH drift, colour change. So best to use Zinc which has been coated to make it hydrophobic in a oil/ester/silicone/or hydrocarbon based dispersion.  Surface treatment will also help prevent unwanted chemical reactions between the untreated TiO2 and the other ingredients.  I’d also avoid using anionic emulsifiers and thickeners.   
  • markbroussard

May 13, 2015 at 12:07 am

If you want to make your life easier, check out the predispersed ZnO and TiO2 products from AppleChem.

• lkatic

May 14, 2015 at 8:38 pm

Great notes, thank you. I did look into AppleChem’s products. And i’ll also look for suppliers of coated  ZO. Thank you both, 

Lara
  • juliap3

July 31, 2015 at 7:34 am

I would like to add zinc oxide to a lip balm but cannot find a reliable source to say how much would be safe. I am using it as a skin protect/ healing properties + and provide some UV protect - what would be a good % - I also have titanium dioxide. Thanks

• bobzchemist

July 31, 2015 at 1:09 pm

@juliap3, please start a new discussion for answers to your question.

• cherri

August 3, 2015 at 6:19 pm

@lkatic what type of Zinc are you using? You can use straight zinc powder- add in water phase
    if you use coated zinc from BASF, mostly you have to put in oil phase. I would suggest you should add spf booster ingredients and emollients since zinc can be draggy and does have that feel people might not like.

• cherri

August 3, 2015 at 6:21 pm

I think using chemical sunscreen will be better for a lip product. try PARSOL MCX and 1789 below 5 % and you get like SPF 15 to 20..