Skin tightening agents: Does any actually work? Even if just temporarily.

Not an area where I have any expertise, but I'm curious if there are any skin tightening agents that work on the market, even if only temporary.

I've heard of people using plastic polymers that stay on top of the skin and contract to cause a superficial effect.

Bee and snake venom to in some way emulate botox.

Various plant extracts possibly with enzymes that cause skin tightening reactions.

Comments

• PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    I just used a bar of soap and my skin feels pretty tight.  But I'm not sure that this is what you mean.  
  • ZinkZink Member
    edited April 2015
    It is what i mean, if that causes visible tightening over say 12 hours.
  • Firmiderm LS 9120 is an active in my antiaging gel that has skin tightening action. Whether it does what Laboratoires Serobiologique claim, I leave to my customers to decide.
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    I've always found Laboratories Serobiologique fascinating.  They make the wildest claims that couldn't possibly be used in cosmetic marketing but I do appreciate their efforts.
  • They have some super impressive literature though!
    Cosmetic Brand Creation. Concept to name to IMPI search to logo and brand registration. In-house graphic design inc. Pantone specs. Cosmetic label and box design & graphics.
  • MichelleReeceMichelleReece Member
    edited April 2015
    One of the longest-lasting skin tightening agents I've tried had a combination of (IIRC) silicones, clays, alcohol, menthol and seaweed proteins that had film-forming properties. I felt the tightening for about 2 hours. The silicones may have slid off earlier than it "should have", as my skin was oily.

Some people using high concentration retinoids, prescription and OTC,  have reported anecdotally that long-term use of them has made their skin feel tighter, so you may want to test that.

I've looked into some smallish studies that DMAE had a skin-tightening effect. I think it'd be a good idea if you could conduct a study with the aforementioned ingredients--I know I've wanted to conduct those kinds of studies myself.
  • heraklitheraklit Member, PCF student
    Usually various muds have tightening properties.
  • DavidWDavidW Member, PCF student
    Zink, you should ask your manufacturer if they have any ideas