Posted by luiscuevasii on April 21, 2015 at 3:46 am

Greetings to all.

Im trying to make a cheap conditioner following this formula:
    Water q.s.
    Cetyl alcohol 2%
    Steric acid 1.5%
    Carbomer 0,45%
    TEA   q.s. ph 5.5-6
    My main problem is that i cant find a good Quad in my country, i only have this ones aviables:
    Benzalconium Chloride
    Hydroxyethyl laurdimonium chloride
    Quaternized thrietalnolamine diester
    Can i make my conditioner works with only those quats avaible?, those seems to be used for laundry or fabric softener.
    Finally i will appreciate any sugestion on my current formula.
    luiscuevasii replied 8 years, 10 months ago 3 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • chemist77

April 21, 2015 at 6:49 am

Here you go-

Remove stearic acid, incorporate 4% Cetostearyl Alcohol, if needed more viscous add 1% Cetyl Alcohol. Skip the carbomer too, not going to help here. 
    Benzalkonium Chloride is a quat but it is generally used as an anti-microbial, the remaining 2 can be tried and yes that diester is a fabric softener material. But I have seen few companies pushing it in conditioners and balsams too, of course they call it PC grade. 

:)>-

• luiscuevasii

April 21, 2015 at 3:38 pm

Thanks for your help, i cant find cetostearyl alcohol in my country, im ussing carbomer as emulsifier.

Im ussing 2% of laurdimonium clhoride but i cant achive the “untangle” feeling that im looking, i dont know if i can include an oil to help.
  • belassi

April 21, 2015 at 3:47 pm

You really need an emulsifier in there. Can you obtain glyceryl stearate? That’s the main emulsifier in my conditioner, at 6% and I used 3.5% of lipids, a mixture of shea butter and jojoba oil, and around 3% of cetyl alcohol.

• luiscuevasii

April 22, 2015 at 3:04 am

Thanks belassi, there arent suppliers of cosmetic ingredients in my country, im doing the best i can, so im ussing carbomer as emulsifier or Neutralized stearic acid, i have read that i can make my own glyceryl stearate with stearic acid and vinegar but i dont know if it going to work.

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you mean with lips?, you dont have any quad on yor formula?.
  • belassi

April 22, 2015 at 6:59 am

Yes, I use 2% quaternium 60 and 1% a pseudo-quat, Lamesoft PO-65.

• luiscuevasii

May 26, 2015 at 2:45 pm

Thanks @Belassi, i Just found Quaternium 7 and added 1% to my formula, i cant find any emulsifier yet, can i use the neutralization of stearic acid and TEA ór NaOH  as emulsifier?, can you help me with the concentrations of both.