Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Problem with face wash separating

• Problem with face wash separating

Posted by rosa on April 18, 2015 at 8:21 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give me an idea as what could be wrong with my formulation..I am making a Goat’s milk face wash, which is really nice and efficient to use, but is slowly separating. When potting is is fine, but after a whileit becomes runnier at the top and the thick layer is at the bottom making it difficult to pump up. It is also very full of air. I have tried to degass, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference and I am a bit surprised over all the air as I am using an emulsifier (under surface!). If anyone has any idea I would be very grateful!/Rosa

This is my recipe: (Water phase) Water 44%, Fresh Goat’s milk 15%, Glycerine 4%, Honey Powder 1%, Hydrolyzed Oat’s powder 2%

(Oil phase): Sweet Almond oil 8%, SCI Surfactant 12%, Grapeseed oil 5%, BTMS Emulsifier 4%, Olive oil 2%

(Additives): Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein (Plus) 2%, Ethox preservative 1%, Fragrance 0.05%                  
    rosa replied 8 years, 11 months ago 4 Members · 8 Replies
  • 8 Replies
  • belassi

April 18, 2015 at 12:50 pm

I think you probably have insufficient emulsifier in there.

• rosa

April 18, 2015 at 8:40 pm

Hi and thanks a lot for your reply! Do you mean too low concentration or should I use a co-emulsifier? In that case, which one would be good? Also, could the problem be that I am using hydrolyzed wheat ptotein, which carry a plus charge - which might be incompatible with the positively charged BTMS?

Thanks a lot!/Rosa
  • bobzchemist

April 19, 2015 at 1:01 am

Let me put it a different way. You have at least 10x too much oil. Try cutting it down to 1% or so.

• chemist77

April 19, 2015 at 1:19 am

Thats a lot of oil for a cleansing system, still if you want to stick to it either replace some part of it with cetyl alcohol or use HEC. You could use Methocel 40-202 also as it is a good foam booster also and see how far you reach with the stability.

• rosa

April 19, 2015 at 7:25 am

Hi and thanks so much for helping! I really thing that the oils in the wash cream is making it nice as the skin doesn’t go dry from using it, so would like to keep it if possible?

So it is possible to replace some of the oils with cetyl alcohol or HEC? About how much would be good and which one would be the better one for this formulation?
    Should I also use more BTMS? Or another emulsifier? Would it not be too thich with more emulsifier (has to be pumpable)?
    Thanks again!
  • chemist77

April 19, 2015 at 7:37 am

Start with 1% Cetyl Alcohol and see if there is any difference in stability, feel and other perceptible parameters. As @Bobzchemist says you won’t know until you do it, so do the trials and see. And don’t make too many changes at the same time, knock out is what counts here. 

• rosa

April 19, 2015 at 7:50 am

So the added 1% of cetyl alcohol might make all the difference? 

Thanks!
  • rosa

April 19, 2015 at 8:36 am

would carbomer be anything like HEC and could it be useful?