Sunscreen actives for "natural" formulas

Hi there.

I'm going to formulate a sunscreen formula for my brand, but one of the problems we have gotten our hands on is that we try to make the most natural formulas as possible. Kobo Products has Zinc Oxide in Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Jojoba Esters, Glyceryl Behenate/Eicosadioate and Titanium Dioxide in Jojoba Esters. This might work when formulating with Safflower Oleosomes by Seppic (HYDRESIA® PE) that helps to remove the whitening effect of mineral sunscreen. 

I am still thinking about filters. Any recommendations that is either approved by ecocert to use, or proven good for sensitive skin types and non-irritating? 

Comments

• BobzchemistBobzchemist Member, PCF student
    Pretty much by anyone's definition, no sunscreen filters can be called natural. I'm not sure you're going to find any that are legal and also non-irritating, either.
    Robert Zonis, Sr. Formulation Chemist, Beaumont Products "All opinions and comments expressed are my own, have no relation to Beaumont Products, are fully copyrighted, and may not be used without written permission."
  • The least irritating sunscreen drugs are zinc oxide and titanium dioxide. "Strange" how some groups don't call them "natural", though they're naturally occurring minerals. But sunscreens aren't "natural" in the sense that you can't go into your backyard and pluck them from a tree. Ah, the meaninglessness of "natural" in marketing.
  • PerryPerry Administrator, Professional Chemist
    To be fair, while Titanium Dioxide and Zinc Oxide can be found in nature the stuff used in industry is synthetically produced.

I would look at what the leading natural brands like Burt's Bees are doing.