Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating Which of these ingredients doesnt like lamesoft po65?

• Which of these ingredients doesnt like lamesoft po65?

Posted by Berry_8 on November 29, 2022 at 8:23 pm

I have this cleanser that is perfectly clear without the inclusion of lamesoft PO65, after which it becomes cloudy. If i dont include any of the actives in my water phase B then it remains clear even with the PO65. So i know that there is something in phase B which does not seem to be working with the PO65, can you help me identify what it is so I can take it out?

Everything is good and clear in Phase A with these 8 ingredients:

Iselux UltraMild

Cocamidopropyl betaine

Shea Butteramidopropyl Betaine

Polysorbate 20

Essential Oil

Lamesoft PO 65

TSGD

Distilled water

However, when I replace some of the water with the following ingredients from Phase B cloudiness ensues:

Glycerin

Sodium PCA

Honeyquat

Helichrysum hydrosol

Hydrolyzed Oats

Any idea which of the above 5 ingredients could be causing the formula to become cloudy when used with lamesoft po65?

Berry_8 replied 1 year, 3 months ago 3 Members · 3 Replies
  • 3 Replies
  • ketchito

November 30, 2022 at 11:17 am

@Berry_8 Did you do a knock out test removing each of the 5 ingredients of phase B at a time? I see a potential incompatibility between Iselux Ultramild and Honeyquat (you’d need to add Honeyquat at the start, followed by some of your betaines and then the Iselux). 

• DeedeeUkulele

December 1, 2022 at 12:47 am

From my experience, I get cloudiness when I add Lamesoft PO65 in the water phase. Adding it in a separate surfactant phase solved the issue. 

• Berry_8

December 1, 2022 at 1:17 am

Well after countless knockout tests and headscratching I finally just lowered lamesoft from 3 to 2.5% and that seems to have taken care of the cloudiness! 

I was already adding lamesoft to the surfactants before mixing in the water phase so that wasn’t the issue.

@ketchito
    Going forward i will add honeyquat to the betaines just in case.

thanks for the input!