Home Cosmetic Science Talk Formulating General Natural silicone alternatives, are they really silicone-like?

• Natural silicone alternatives, are they really silicone-like?

Posted by marimaster_3991 on October 11, 2022 at 8:30 pm

Hey, guys! Hope you all doing ok. 

I’ve been looking for silicone-like ingredients for a natural sunscreen. I actually have heard of many veg alternatives but none of them give the sensory of a REAL silicone. 

So I’m wondering, does anyone here ever found an ingredient that really felt like silicone on skin? especially cyclopentasiloxane and dimethicone (or even some silicone polymer)

pharma replied 1 year, 5 months ago 8 Members · 11 Replies
  • 11 Replies
  • graillotion

October 11, 2022 at 8:41 pm

Nope.

• oldperry

October 11, 2022 at 10:52 pm

There is a reason silicones are used. Nothing else really compares.

• paprik

October 12, 2022 at 12:36 am

Haha, love the answers. I would actually answer the same way : Nope. 
    Seriously nothing compares to them. 

• pharma

October 12, 2022 at 8:41 am
    With our chemistry (the one of our reality and on our planet), it is virtually impossible to create ‘green’ molecules with all the virtues of silicones. Some like volatility can be achieved, but the immiscibility with water and oils (which is one of the reasons silicones feel the way they do) not so much. Maybe poly- and perfluoroalkyl derivatives would work though I don’t know how they compare feel-wise. However, those are way more synthetic than silicones and are very persistent in nature (= they are higher up on the ‘ugly’ list). Better stay with silicones than using halogenated stuff (or let your dream fade away like any beautiful dream fades when you wake up in the morning).
  • suswang8

October 13, 2022 at 3:46 am

I cannot tell from your post if you have actually started testing ingredients yet.  If not, I would recommend doing that and reaching your own conclusion.  I  would begin with a product called Plantsil, as that seems to get very good reviews elsewhere.  That said, even a sunscreen using “real” silicones is extremely difficult to execute well.

• ngarayeva001

October 13, 2022 at 9:19 am

It doesn’t feel like silicone, but one of the most unique so-called natural emollients I tried is cetiol ultimate (undecane and tridecane). It’s a good alternative to D5 in foundations. I actually like it better than D5 in terms of feel (which is very unusual for me, as I strongly prefer “synthetics”). It’s not very shelf stable, though. Having said that, I haven’t seen it often in sunscreens.

• PhilGeis

October 13, 2022 at 1:14 pm

What is the active in this “natural” sunscreen.

• suswang8

October 13, 2022 at 4:16 pm

(One hopes the answer is zinc oxide, otherwise we have another problem.)

• marimaster_3991

October 13, 2022 at 5:29 pm

Haha I knew it, actually. I mean, I’m into silicones and synthetics, but when it comes to a client request there’s nothing much to do. 

But… we never know. A colleague told me about cetiol ultimate before, since someone here also mentioned it maybe it’s worth the shot.

Just for the record, the actives are zno and tio2 

• graillotion

October 13, 2022 at 7:45 pm

Haha  A colleague told me about cetiol ultimate before, since someone here also mentioned it maybe it’s worth the shot.

Let me offer one more item to test…. albeit a little expensive.  One of my mentors received it and was pleasantly surprised.

Check this one out:

Citropol V5 from P2 Science, Inc

Hehehe…..granted they list is as a ‘natural’ alternative… I think the INCI is uglier than D5.  :D

• INCI Name:

Polycitronellol Acetate (and) Undecane (and) Tridecane

• pharma

October 14, 2022 at 7:53 am
    Shouldn’t the first question be: What do you expect from silicone ingredients in your product? Silicone doesn’t equal silicone.
    Cyclodimethicones are volatile and if you’re after that feat, undecane/tridecane or related hydrocarbons are certainly worth checking out. However, they feel terrible when tested neat, like spilling a solvent (which they basically are) over your hands at the lab :smiley: .